Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Is THE Sydney Pass a worthwhile purchase?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DW and I will be traveling to AUS in January with the primary focus of our trip going to the Aus Open Tennis tournament in Melbourne. BUT we will be spending 4 nights, 3 full days in SYD and have NOTHING on our agenda other than relaxation. Will probably want to cruise the harbor, see the Opera house, and maybe a day doing a HO/HO bus. THE SYDNEY PASS seems to be heavily marketed. Is this anything worthwhile investing in? Pros and Cons?
Old May 20th, 2019, 02:29 AM

From what I can see on line, you need to do your own homework. You really need to know what you want to see, then compare the total of all the walk-up costs with the total of whichever option you select from the pass' choices.
There's plenty to do in Sydney without having to pay at every turn. Have you looked at the public transport options for visitors? See transport nsw.info for details. Di
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Di! You sort of didn't answer my question, but yet, you did. We will be visiting SYD in between 4 days in South NZ, where our itinerary is planned out to the hour, and then 5 days in Melbourne, possibly quite frenetic. So, the main goal in Sydney will be to arrive WITH NO PLAN!! yes, I'll continue to do homework, but the working assumption at this point, will be to not buy the pass, and just seek out options on a day-by-day basis, which may include doing nothing . Thanks. - DD
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don’t think I’d bother with the Sydney Pass. IME,
as noted above, they tend to be worthwhile only if you want to see all the attractions they offer. And I rarely do.

Art Galleries are free here. The only fee is for special exhibitions. So many of the interesting things to do & see in Sydney are free, I’m sure you could happily & economically occupy yourselves with just paying the odd fee here & there.

I wouldn’t do a Harbour Cruise, either. Buy an Opal card each & use our fabulous ferries. Have a nice lunch somewhere good - not mediocre food on a floating smorgasbord with a hundred of your nearest & dearest.

You’ll need Opal cards for buses & can use them on trains too. Even up to the Blue Mountains.

I would do a sail in the heritage Tall Ship James Craig,
though.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

So noted, Thank you - docD
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 01:23 AM

Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 07:45 PM

I agree with Bokhara - the Sydney Pass is seldom good value unless you WANT to see everything included, and many of the things included you wouldn't bother.

For a relaxing trip, buy and use an Opal Card each to get around, especially on the ferries. See some sights, have some good meals, no stress.