Is Sydney Bridge Climb a Must Do?

Nov 4th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Danill

Is Sydney Bridge Climb a Must Do?

We are considering the bridge climb but are both afraid of heights. is this a "must do"?

Is it very scary for ppl afraid of heights. Namely:

Is there any railing at all? On both sides? I know you are connected with a wire but am not clear as to what it is attached to- just a little cable? or an actual handrail?

How do they deal with people who start freaking out from fear?

Thanks so much for any help. We wouldn't want to miss a great experience but are a tad scared

Nov 4th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Mina

Danill:

There are couple of recent trip reports about this that you may want to do a search on that are very helpful. Just do a search on "bridgeclimb".

I am not afraid of heights, so I can't really help you there. There is a railing, and the only way you could fall over is if you hurled yourself over in my opinion. However, there are two spots where I think you could get nervous...

1. The walkway over to the ladders. You can see through the plank (for lack of a better word...maybe someone can help me out) you're walking on. It's solid, and would never fall, but some people get unnerved that they can see below.

2. The ladders. Four sets of ladders are a straight vertical climb up. I hate ladders, so I was very careful on that part.

The "climb" over the bridge itself is the easiest part. The steps are shallow, and there is little chance of anyone tumbling anywhere. You are in somewhat of a harness, and attached with a cable that slides along the railing .

It would be a shame to miss it, but I can certainly see some cause for concern if you are afraid of heights. I have no idea what they would do if someone had a panic attack up there...but I can't imagine it's never happened. Maybe someone else can help in that arena.

Nov 4th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Mina

To clarify about the plank part...

It's metal, with small holes. it's not like glass or anything where you can clearly see down...even I would be freaked to walk over something like that!

Nov 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Nikki

You know Danill

You don't have to do the bridge climb - you can walk across the bridge and see a fantastic experience too. If heights are that bothersome - try the walk across and not the climb Also don't make any plans for the bridge until the day is beautiful - too many people buy tickets ahead and then it gets a little windy.

Enjoy you'll love Australia!!!

Nov 5th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Abby

Danill-I'm not sure how scared you mean by your posting, but I count the Bridge Climb as one of the best things I've done. It's not too dangerous and yes, you are in a harness while you climb up the top part. There are railings and the planks (from what I remember) were not too skinny. It's really cool at the top when you take the photos with the Opera House in the background and you have an amazing view of all of Sydney. When you get the photo you'll be happy you did it! I"m a scaredy cat but while in Oz I did manage to jump out of a plane and climb the bridge-but I wouldn't snorkel. Go for it!

Nov 5th, 2002, 08:17 AM
sd

Spent a week in Sydney with my wife. Did not do the Bridge Climb and do not regret it. I hate heights. I'm only 40 and great shape so it's not like i'm too old or fat for it. You can get good views from Level 41 restaurant or the Big Tower. What you shouldn't miss is the walking tour of the Opera House and a performance if you can squeeze it in.

Nov 5th, 2002, 08:34 AM
shannon

hmmmm Must Do? Probably not...was it worth it...DEFINITELY. I am not scared of heights. My husband is. He was a bit nervous but did just fine. He just wouldn't look down when we were standing across the top part near the flags above the traffic.

I am fat and I still did the climb! Yes, it did bother me a bit and I had to take my time on parts of it (the steps are wide on the bridge part itself but it is still fairly steep).

ONCE you are "locked" on with your harness you aren't going anywhere. Your guide is able to come around and check on you during the trip.

You also have a bit of a trial in the set up area before you leave for the climb.

I am really glad I did it!

I would have regretted NOT doing it!
I also did 2 intro scuba dives and my husband only snorkeled (he isn't a strong swimmer)...I was more scared of the scuba than the bridge climb.

I say go for it....but you can walk across the bridge for FREE on the pedestrian walk first if you feel a need to test yourself.

Nov 5th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Debbie

Hi Danill--
If I can do it, anyone can!! I'm not kidding you, I hate heights. I'm the little chicken who's heart raced and knees knocked as I stood on a 8 ft. ladder painting my vauled ceiling. I'm also the wimp that decided she couldn't do a ropes course at a work 'bonding experience'.

Even though I don't like heights, I decided I really wanted to do the Bridgeclimb. And after all said and done, I don't think it was scary.(Going into it, I will say I wasn't so brazen. I was shaking as they did the safety talk and even on the silly 5 ft practice bridge that they make you walk across before you even go outside.)

Mina told you about the 'worst parts'--the ladders and that short stretch of steel grating that you walk over. Those sections don't even last 5 minutes. For me, the ladders were the worst and it was fine!

I truly felt safe. Really, most of the time I felt like I was walking on a regular sidewalk. There are railings on either side and being tethered made me feel really secure. I ended up worrying more about how dorky I was going to look in photos wearing those lovely bridgeclimb suits than how far above the ground I was walking. And I have to tell you, the spectacular view can even distract you from the goofy jumpsuits!

For me, it was worth it. I would go up there again in a heartbeat!
Debbie

PS The cost is non-refundable, so make up your mind before you shell out money!

Nov 5th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Merriem

I am afraid of heights, and when we were in Sydney I never even considered it. Why would you want to do something that made you feel uncomfortable.

Nov 5th, 2002, 03:01 PM
sean

My wife was dead afraid of heights but wasn't scared on the bridge climb at all!!! There is absolutely no possible way of falling, you could be totally suicidal and wouldn't be able to get off the bridge at any time no matter how hard you tried. It is easy to do, there was a 70 year old lady in my group, it's a don't miss for sure.

Nov 5th, 2002, 04:27 PM
LCUY

I am afraid of heights, and not in veryathletic shape but purchased the tickets for our family of 4 two weeks in advance. I was terrified and kept trying to think of excuses- that would allow me to cancel and get a refund- right up until we got dressed. Their safety precautions, practice session, and the picture of the 90 year old woman who did it finally convinced me. It as wonderful! Some spots a bit spooky, but I don't think you can disconnect your cable even if you wanted to. I am so glad we did this. My husbnd and 14 and 16 yr old kids loved it as well. Go for it!

Nov 5th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Mary

We have been on the BridgeClimb twice, once in the early morning and once in the evening. They were both spectacular. We did find out that about 1 person a day has to be brought down with a guide due to fear. They blindfold the person and lead them down with the guide. The guides are some of the best part. They are funny and take very good care of everyone. I took a friend who is afraid of heights and she loved it. The night climb is a little more scary, though.

Nov 6th, 2002, 05:11 AM
monica

I am scared of heights, but plan to do the Bridgeclimb once I get there next year. I see it like the Eiffel Tower - how many chances are you going to get to go to the top? I was scared at the top of the Tower, but the views/experience/memories more than made up for that. This could be a 1 in a lifetime chance!

Nov 6th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Mare

I decided not to do the bridge climb. Instead I took the stairs to the top of the brick bridge pylon to get a 360 degree view and to take pictures. There's a small charge to walk up to the top where there was also a small museum about the building of the bridge. Once at the top one can walk around, take pictures,and stay as long as you wish to look at the great views.