Search

In 1 month I head to OZ!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
lauren cahill

In 1 month I head to OZ!

Well after much research on this site my honeymoon plans are set. Thought I would run them by the experts and see if there are any last words of advice! I will post a report upon my return!<BR>11/11 depart Newark/LA/Sydney (1st Class Continental/Business Class Quantas<BR>11/13 arrive Sydney depart for Hayman<BR>11/19 depart Hayman for Adelaide (driving directly to The Lodge in Barossa). Will drink much wine<BR>11/22 depart Barossa for Prairie Hotel in Parachilna (hope to drive through Clare Valley on the way). Will explore Flinders Range <BR>11/26 Drive back to Adelaide for flight to Sydney. Booked romance package and jr. corner suite at Four Seasons (want to end with a bang)!!!<BR>11/29 Depart Syndey/LA/Newark<BR><BR>One question I do have, is there a business class lounge at the Sydney airport for Quantas? We miss the first flight to Hamilton on the way to Hayman so will be in the airport for 4 hours (thought it would be a good time to shower and get acclimated).<BR>Thank you in advance for your thoughts and ideas!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:19 AM
liz

You bet there is a QANTAS ( no U in there ) lounge at Sydney Airport and with most Australian lounges you should have a very nice spread with something to choose for breakfast/morning tea. Another difference for you is we say acclimatized and not acclimated. You will find there are quite a few differences, some of which will be quite strange. <BR>Have a lovely holiday.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Sarah

Lauren I am reading a good book now called Blue Latitudes by Tony Horowitz. Traces the trails of Captain Cook, first western contact with Australia among other places. A fun read he blends historical with current travel. I strongly advice you find out more about Australia if you are not already familar.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:47 PM
sss

liz would love to hear of about books you know about that talk about Australia's development. Anything about the Aboriginals would be appreciated. So amazed to discover that they had been there since 40,000 bc.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:50 PM
john

Try "Songlines" by Bruce Chatwin or "the chant of Jimmy Blacksmith" by Tom Keneally.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:31 PM
liz

Having been a book seller for 20 years now the best will be, and always have been, those written by either Frank Clune or Ion Idriess both of whom wrote stories based on fact. Idriess books are very collectable and so are Clunes but not as much. <BR>For historical writings you can't go past Geoffrey Blainey - he seems to stay away from political thoughts - which is good

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:37 PM
liz

don't know why I clicked but was not finished. <BR>Keneally is a dead set commy in his thinking and persuasion , Robert Hughes's book the Fatal Shore had so many holes in it that you could shoot peas though it. For the best anthropological writings about the Australian Aboriginies the best would be the books written by (?) Bryandts??? - darn because I am not at home I can't think of the names of the books. These two are anthrops. and spent many years with the aboriginals in Australia and have written some very very good books. Look on www.abebooks.com and put in the keywords aboriginals and/or Australian history and/or Australian anthropology.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:42 PM
liz

Its Ronald and Catherin Berndt and they wrote quite a few books.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
margo

And stay away from anything at all by that lunatic, Marlo Morgan - whose books are entirely a waste of paper.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:04 AM
margo

And stay away from anything at all by that lunatic, Marlo Morgan - whose books are entirely a waste of paper.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
l cahill

Thank you for the responses!<BR>Sarah, I will try and find the book Blue Latitudes on Amazon.com<BR>Will post a recap upon my return!<BR><BR>Sorry for the misspelling! Some habits are hard to break!