Search

Ideas around Auckland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas around Auckland

Hi again,
I still need to make plans for Auckland. We arrive 11:30 AM on the 29th of Nov. and leave 7:30 PM on the 1st. Would love some suggestions for this time period, where to go/stay and what to do. Would rather not drive more than 3-4 hours. A nice hotel before we leave is one idea.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 04:28 AM

You could always take the ferry over to Waiheke Island or Rangitoto Island from the harbour in Auckland or you could go on an America's Cup sailing experience!

We stayed at the Great Ponsonby B&B in the Ponsonby district of Auckland after several recommendations on this website - would definitely endorse it to others!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM

We are staying at the Copthorne harbourcity at the end of this month. Got a really good deal on www.accomline.com

We have stayed there before and found it to be a good location.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM

We stayed at the New President Hotel on Victoria. Very short walk to the harbor. You could do a harbor cruise in the afternoon when you arrive. We did a tour called "Best of Both Worlds with Bush and Beach (www.bushandbeach.co.nz) It includes a city tour in the morning and then in the afternoon a trip out to the coast for some walks in the rainforest and to waterfalls. The America's cup sailing is something I will do next time. The weather wasn't great when we were there in July.
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM

Some of my favourite things in and around Auckland...ah the memories!

Take the ferry to Devonport and wander around for the afternoon.

Go up One Tree Hill. Beautiful views of the city.

Take a drive out along Tamaki Drive.

Drive a bit further and go north to Orawa Beach. I loved walking this beach.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Just some more ideas:
Orewa beach IMO is not a marvellous beach, there are many better around the Auckland area, I wouldn't waste my time going there. An absolute must do is to visit the West Coast - either Piha, Muriwai (2 favourites)-- they are quite spectacular (you can do this on the bush and beach tour). Take a walk between Takapuna Beach and Milford Beach - very nice. Go up Mt Eden for wonderful city views, or if you go to Devonport on the ferry, go up North Head - fantastic views of the city, Waitakeres and of course, the harbour. A drive along Tamaki Drive can be very pleasant when not busy (ie don't go on a sunny weekend afternoon - every man and his dog will be there). A trip to the museum is worth it if you have the time - lovely location with nice views of the harbour, beautiful gardens and it has a large Maori section, if you would be interested in that. A trip on the quick cat to Waiheke Island would be most enjoyable if the weather is nice, but you would really need a day to experience this and you would most likely be short of time, this goes for Rangitoto as well - more of a day trip. The Sky Tower for views - you could do this at the end of the day and stay for dinner. Just some ideas, I'm sure there are lots more I've forgotten.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Just back last week! 2nd visit to Auckland and I still love the place!
Stayed at the Copthorne, but its getting a bit shabby. The views make up for that though.
Go up the sky tower,see the cattle in the hole at the top of Mount Eden,stay away from Queen Street shops and shop in Newmarket instead,have a really good dinner at Sails restaurant at Westhaven Marina,go round to Mission Bay (lovely area).Walk round Ponsonby - and Parnell for cafe culture.
You will have a great time!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Just returned from 7th trip to NZ. We always love to take the short ferry ride to Devonport. The 1 hr small bus tour (catch at ferry depot in D) gives you views from hilltops all around. Town is easy to walk and has lots of restaurants, a few antiques, a great quilt store, good bookstores and lots of little spots. The park (when you get off ferry) has lovely views across to Auckland. The ferry ride itself gives you lots of water views.
For further afield (2 hrs), we love the small town of Cambridge (next to Hamilton) for a small artsy community that it fun to poke around in. Highly recommend Dunfarmin B&B. The gardens in Hamilton are close, too, and really nice.
In Rotorua, the Mitai Maori experience was wonderful (we've done many around the country). It's smaller and more personal than some of the bigger ones and has a great entrance of the warriors by boat. It's next to Rainbow Springs - www.mitai.co.nz
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM

LouUS. Did you know Devonport has a small naval museum a little walk along the waterfront?
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM

Hello fgesicki:

Lots of good ideas already so I will only add four.

One. Just at the south edge of Auckland is a large and very beautiful botanic garden. Lunch restaurant there too.

Well worth a visit for a quiet time.

Two. Museum in Auckland is also a great place to visit. They had a Maori dance demonstration going on when we were ther. Ask at your hotel.

Three. Kelly Tarlton's water park is a third option. Well done.

Four. Victoria Market is a pleasant down town market. Lots of stalls and restaurants. Good selection of sheep skin boot slippers. I got a pair 12 years ago and have used them inside every day since.

Have a good one.

Woodie.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your great input. We will bring your notes with us. We are leaving tomorrow!!!!
Frank and Judy
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
GBZ

Auckland stuff
Vertigo Climb, Auckland Skytower - beyond the observation decks, and wear an orange suit to do it.
Take a ferry or kayak from Mission Bay, Auckland to Rangitoto Island & climb to the top.
Waiheke Island - only 35 mins by ferry from Auckland, for some great wineries, maybe spend the night.
Raglan- & catch some wild surf.
More Auckland stuff

http://www.newzealandatoz.com/auckland.php

Enjoy
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM

There is a nice restaurant in the Auckland Domain, across from the Winterhouse. (I just had lunch there!) Auckland Domain and Museum are nice on a rainy day.