Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

OK - I think I have a rough itinerary now need to book some flights - comments appreciated!

Search

OK - I think I have a rough itinerary now need to book some flights - comments appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning the following 4 week visit in March of 2007 - coming from a month in SE Asia followed by a month in NZ.

I haven't figured out how much time in every place yet - have included some approximate times in places - we do plan to spend time in each of these locations not just overnight

Fly to Melbourne from Queenstown NZ
Rent car - drive GOR to Adelaide
Kangaroo Island? (lots of differing opinions here)
Fly to Tassie (I think there's a direct flight - have to check)
6 days or so in Tassie
Fly to Cairnes (via SYD I assume)
Week or so in GBR - haven't figured out where yet
Fly to SYD possibly via Ayer's Rock
Time in SYD then home to Toronto

We're traveling on a Star Alliance Circle Pacific airpass so will have to buy the internal OZ flights - I was quite happy with the Qantas pass rates I saw but on closer look it appears they're only for departures from LA (or other NA destination) - is there an intra Australian airpass?

If we wanted to keep the schedule flexible would we have trouble getting flights at the last moment in March? Or would they just cost a lost more?

Thanks for comments!

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I took a two day tour with www.waywardbus.au on Kangaroo Island and really enjoyed it. Two days (one night) is plenty for the island. They did the driving and knew exactly where to go. Visiting a petting area is a great way to get photos of the animals without bars and cages. Avoid driving at night on this island as that is when the animals come out and there is a lot of road kill. Be sure to give yourself three days for the Great Ocean Road.

Ayers Rock can be expensive. Consider flying in early in the morning, spending one night, and flying out the next afternoon.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 12:26 PM

Elizabeth,
March is not a busy month.
From Cairns there are many and varied reef options depending on ones budget and objectives.
Don't forget that if you are interested in wildlife then the Atherton Tablelands is the place to go. Allow at least two days if you can.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Consider flying to Adelaide from NZ. then do the GOR from Adelaide to Melbourne and then Melbourne to Tassie. You would also have the option of the Princess of Tasmania car ferry between Melbourne and Launceston as you would not want to spend 6 days on Tassie without a car although you could hire another car in Tassie. Adelaide is also a much better city to access Ayres Rock and a return trip from Adelaide would be worth considering. Australia is a vast country and the only way to cover the distances is by plane, but you have some very long flights planned.
An alternate itinerary (just a suggestion as it is your holiday) could be NZ to Cairns, Cairns to Alice Springs{Ayres Rock) although not sure if there is a direct flight, Alice to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island, car and GOR to Melb. then Melb. to Tassie and then fly from Hobart, Tasmania to Sydney {fairly sure there is a direct). It would keep the flights to a minimum and allow you more time in the places you want to see.
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 07:31 AM

We flew nonstop from Hobart to Sydney a few weeks ago on Virgin Blue. Check out their Happy Hour Fares, which are available only one hour per day, from 5pm to 6pm here on the West Coast (noon to 1pm AEST).

www.virginblue.com.au/bookings/happy_hr/
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the really helpful comments - will reconsider my routing into Adelaide - I'll have lots more questions to post about specifics in a couple of weeks!
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Meant to also say - am now also considering NZ to Cairns - have rec'd that advice from a few people......