How to get cash

Nov 6th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

How to get cash

I'm headed to NZ for 3 months and wondered how easy is it to get cash from ATMs? Are you limited by anything? How much can you get at one time, and how much do the banks charge for each withdrawal? Can you use a card with the VISA logo to get cash from any ATM? I've never done this so don't know. Any other advice on how to carry your money?

Also, I've applied for visitors visa (I'm still in the US) in case i want to stay longer than 3 months, and wondered how long it takes to get it? I leave in 3 weeks, is that enough time? Also, it looks like theres a fee waiver for US citizens, so its free, which means theres no harm in applying for it, even if it doesn't arrive in time, right? Anyone have experience with this?
thanks.
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Hi! I was in NZ for a month this July. I have a Mastercard debit card that I used and it allowed me a couple hundred dollars at one time. It may depend on how much your US bank will let you withdrawl in one day. I also got charged $3 US per withdrawal. That added up after a short while. I didn't bring travelers checks this time (I usually do) b/c everyone said you get a better rate at the ATM. There are ATMs everywhere. I would also keep a bit of spare cash just in case you need it-you never know. I'm so jealous...have a fabulous time and if you want any feedback about where you are going you can email me at [email protected].
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:42 PM

Hi QueenBee:

I was in NZ last month & as per Abby's post ATM's are everywhere. I limited myself to the Westpac ATM's as they are aligned with my bank here in Canada (& with BoA in the US) so I paid no transaction fee, just the exchange rate(which was within 2% of the 'best rate' posted for that day).

The most I took out at one time was $400nzd (~$275usd) but since I wasn't paying a transaction fee & ATMs were readily available I was never worried about running out of cash (& VISA & AMEX were taken everywhere we went as well).

If your concerned about ATM locations in an 'out of the way' location try the ATM Locator on the VISA web site, it very good - last year I knew in advance we'd be stopping for food/gas in Nanyuki, Kenya and the Barclay's ATM was exactly where it had said & can't get much more 'out of the way'.

Can't help you on a visitor visa though.

Later,

Z
Nov 11th, 2003, 06:52 PM

getting cash from the "hole in the wall" (common term for ATM) is easy especially if you have visa and you'll also get good exchange rates
Nov 12th, 2003, 08:26 AM

At one point in Europe, ATM PINs were limited to 4 numbers so you had to make sure you changed your American PIN so that it was short enough would be recognized.

Is this a concern in Aust/NZ?

Nov 16th, 2003, 08:23 PM

no idea but our pins tend to be 4 numbers as well
Nov 16th, 2003, 08:24 PM

just found out for you. OUr pins can be 4 to 6 digits long
Nov 16th, 2003, 09:54 PM

Thanks -- are you in Aust or NZ?