Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

How much time to allot for Kuranda and Tjabukai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 04:59 PM
martha

I have read mixed comments on both Kuranda and Tjabukai,but I want to visit each. Is one-to-one and one-half hours enough time to brouse in Kuranda,and is two hours enough for Tjabukai? I will probably take skyrail in both directions,because I want the flexibility of more departure times that you get with Skyrail. Am I making a big mistake not taking the train up to Kuranda?<BR>Is 1-1 and one half hours enough time to tour Kuranda

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:37 PM
lcuy

Unless you are really into shopping, 1 & 1/2 hours should be plenty in Kuranda. I highly recommend the butterfly farm in Kuranda if you've never been to one before. 2 hours at Tjapukai should be perfect, and if you get done early and have to wait for transport, they have a terriffic gift shop with lots of original art and also a casual restaraunt. We took skyrail up to Kuranda and train down, but would definitely do skyrail both ways if going again. We found the train crowded and of limited views and interest, even to our kids who like trains. Skyrail and the way stations were very interesting.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Debbie

Hi Martha!<BR>If you go in w/the attitude that your a tourist doing touristy stuff you won't be disappointed.<BR><BR>I was on my own so whizzed through the Kuranda markets in probably a little over an hour. I wasn't that impressed by what I saw, but then again, I wasn't really in a shopping mood. I had hoped to spot some unique artsy stuff in Kuranda but found tons of tshirts, mass produced boomerangs, etc. instead. <BR><BR>As for the train v. skyrail debate, I enjoyed the skyrail more; however, the train was fine and allowed me to see things from a different perspective. If you're travelling w/young kids, I think they'd really like that part of the day. <BR><BR>Tjapukai was described to me as 'Disneyesque' and perhaps that's apt. Like Disney, it was well organized, clean, had a variety of shows and was designed for the enjoyment of tourists--but that was ok. If you want to learn about Aboriginal life, it's a pleasant and educational way to do it. <BR><BR>I bet I spent 5-6hrs total doing the Kuranda/Tjapukai thing. That includes the time on the shuttle to Freshwater Station, waiting for the train, the train and skyrail itself and the viewing stops along the way, walking around Kuranda and the Aboriginal park and getting back to the hotel... <BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>Debbie

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 07:47 PM
ALF

I would allow some extra time to get off at both of the SkyRail waystations to take a walk through the forest. There are also guided walks offered throughout most days.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 07:00 AM
jake

We had lunch & bought all out souvenirs in Kurunda in about an hour and 30 minutes. They have a free shuttle from the train station to the far end of Kuranda (where the butterfly farm is). Try to be one of the first ones off the train & on the shuttle and and you will beat the crowds.<BR>Kuranda has some of the least expensive souvenir prices compared to anywhere else in Sydney & Port Doulgas if you are looking for massed produced items you find at every gift shop.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Rel

We went by train up and skyrail down. Best idea I think - in the morning you are happy with the slower train trip to take in the views etc. Make sure you do the two stops on the skyrail down to walk around. We're not into shopping, so a stroll along the river and through the shops, a coffee and we were ready to leave. Didn't go to Tjabukai!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Bethany Lee

We went on a Friday to Kuranda and there is an extra market open that day so it took us about 2 1/2 hours to get through the markets. Honestly, there was a lot of junk we skipped but there were a couple of really cool original pieces of art. I purchased a really cool hand carved wood bowl made by a local artist out of a beautiful fruit wood. I also purchased some opal stones from a guy who personally mined all the stones in his shop and personally made all the jewelry as well. He had lots of really cool stones of various types and sizes and remembered where he mined them and what he envisioned for them when he found them. We also spoke with an a local Aboriginal artist that was painting while we spoke with him. He had lots of interesting stories to tell.<BR><BR>Bottom line, if you find interesting artists, spend some time talking to them and skip all the junk. I would also recommend going on a day with the extra market. Have fun!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:13 PM
bill simpson

My wife & I drove from Port Douglas to Freshwater Station (easy drive & I am one who easily gets lost on unfamiliar turf) in the morning taking the train to Kuranda. It's not great but it is enjoyable & I believe worth doing. We returned via Skyrail & you got to do that, especially on the return. The view as you start the descend from the rainforest to the terminus is outstanding. We spent maybe an hour in Kuranda. It was O.K. but was rather disappointed in its markets. We did the Tjabukai Cultural Center & did not care for it at all. However it is right next to the terminus of the Skyrail so its very conveniently located to do what you want to do. The time you are allocating would certainly cover both areas very well. If you do the trip as we did, keep in mind that there is a shuttle that frequently runs between Freshwater Station & the Skyrail terminus so you can pick up your vehicle. Also a suggestion - if you like markets Port Douglas has a very nice Sunday market that we enjoyed much more than Kuranda.