Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

How Long to Drive from Wellington to Rotorua???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the following website: http://www.tourism.net.nz/new-zealan...riving-routes/ that lists NZ driving times. It shows Wellington to Taupo as 3:34 and Wellington to Rotorua as 4:20.

In poking around some old posts on this forum others said that the drive from Wellington to Taupo would be at least 5 - 6 hours -- and another hour or more to Rotorua. If that's the case, I'll definitely fly.

How long does the drive really take?

Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Wellington to Rotorua shows on a couple of references as being 450-460 km. and though a lot of it is fairly flat open country, you've got what is called the Desert Road section for one of the strangest sections of a major highway you'll ever find and it does add some interest if time to the journey.

And then with quite a few towns to slow down for a bit as well and though I haven't actually timed the total trip, actually stopping overnight along the way, I'd reckon you would be pushing to do it in under five hours.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
My daughter and son=in=law did this drove last year and I'm sure it took them 7-8 hours. Admittedly they were driving a van loaded with musical gear such as a Hammond b3, drums, speakers etc so would be slower than the average car, but I would say at least six hours possibly seven.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Just talked to DD, she said it only took 6 hours in the van, Rotorua is only an hour from Taupo.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses. That really helps. If were there strictly for vacation I might enjoy that long, leisurely drive, with lots of stops. But I'll have been working and putting out a lot of energy -- and I don't want to drive so many hours.

The website I referenced above states that Rotorua to Auckland takes 2:13. I did that drive last year and I'm thinking it was around 3 hours. Sounds like I'll be flying from Wellington to Rotorua -- and then driving from Rotorua to Auckland.

Thanks again.