Hotel Between Paihia & Rotorua

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family will be travelling from Paihia to Rotorua in August. We are looking for a hotel somewhere in between to spend the night. I realize that Auckland is in the middle (3 hours from each of the cities). Is there a town that is a little closer to Rotorua that we could stay in? Or should we just stay somewhere on the south end of Auckland? Any recommendations?
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM

How about Hamilton? Just north of Rotorua (about an hour's drive as I recall). Reasonably large town with good choice of motels and restaurants. It will save you driving through Auckland traffic.
There is a very nice public garden in Hamilton - well worth stopping and looking. From memory it is on the road to Rotorua.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Please dont go to Hamilton ( sorry Marg ) . I would recommend a night in either Tauranga or even better - Mount Maunganui. BEAUTIFUL beach, walk around " The Mt " or if energetic up "The Mt" for glorious views. Outdoor thermal pools - ideal time to visit is August. Good cafes and restaurants. An hours drive to Rotorua. Stop off at"Kiwifruit 360 " for farm tour. Hells Gate - just before Rotorua just off main roadf on left. Mount Maunganui is the place to go - not Hamilton!!!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. According to the web, it takes about 6.5 hours to get from Paihia to Rotorua. We were hopefully looking for something in the middle (3-4 hour drive). All of the cities suggested are 5+ hours from Paihia. We are basically just looking for a sleeping point to break up our trip (i.e. - leave in the late afternoon from Paihia, drive 3 hours, sleep, drive 3 hours to Rotorua). I know Auckland is at the 3-hour point, but I'm hoping to find something on the road and not go into the city. This is my first time to New Zealand so I may have it all wrong. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM

Yes - its a long drive from Paihia to Rotorua. Perhaps consider spending the night in Orewa - just north of Auckland , - or Papakura south of the city. Either way you need to avoid the morning/avo rush hour through Auckland. Good luck !