help with itinerary for mid 60's couple in April

Mar 28th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

help with itinerary for mid 60's couple in April

Can you help me with what would be the best parts of the country to visit in April?
We are a couple in our mid 60's, physically active but my husband does have breathing issues. We do not have any interest in wine tours or riding camels or snorkeling. Thanks for any help you can give us - we are planning a 3 week holiday.
Mar 28th, 2009, 01:31 PM

April is a great time to see Oz.

It would help, however, if you gave some idea of your interests, not just your disinterests.

How much do you want to see? Hiring a car? Cities? Countryside? Outback?

A bit more information and you should get some intelligent answers (not necessarily from me...but others!)
Mar 29th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi there, Sorry I did not mean to be vague. We love nature but cannot hike for long periods of time. I am looking in to taking the train for part of the way and would be open to driving or flying from location to location - have just started researching so we are very open to any ideas!
Mar 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Australia has some great cities, but even greater natural wonders. You don't come here for the Castles and Cathedrals so do your research and build your itinerary accordingly. For a first time visit and I presume you will be flying into Sydney, I would suggest spending 4 - 5 days there. Do a harbour cruise, take the ferry to Manly and visit Blue Mountains. Fly to Cairns for the GBR. 3-4 days there. Uluru and the Outback has to be next, no more than 2 nights and then Melbourne for 4 days and include a trip down the Great Ocean Road. If you have the time fly or take the ferry from Melbourne to Tasmania and spend a few days driving around the Island. Depart then from Melbourne. A Qantas Aussie Pass would be very good value to get you around and you would need a car for the GOR and Tassie. Train travel in OZ while relaxing is very slow and with the distances air travel is the way to go. April is a good month do do all of the above, but book early as it is also Easter and school holidays. I presume your plans are for 2010
Mar 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM

I suspect if your husband has breathing issues, you will want to be looking at a more peaceful than go go type travelling trip and bear in mind that northern Australia will still have moisture laden air in April and though inland is normally much drier, April can still be quite warm so if either of those type weather conditions is likely to be stressful to your husband, I'd avoid all the extra travelling and stick with the south east of Australia.

You had better get a move on though and have you already booked the international flights for that would help some in developing a best suggestion.