imput/suggestions for possible itinerary please

Sep 30th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

imput/suggestions for possible itinerary please

Hi - can you please critique/make recommendations on a possible itinerary to OZ? Still in the planning stages so any input would be greatly appreciated...1st trip for me (33) and my dad....

Arrive 27th of March 2004 - spend 5 nights in Sydney (hotel tba)
1st of April fly to GBR, spend 3 nights (Radisson Treetops in Port Douglas - 2 nts free)
4th of April fly to Ayers Rock or Alice Springs for 2 nights (hotel tba) planning to go to Uluru (not sure if driving/doing tour)
6th of April open
7th of April open
8th of April 1 night Kangaroo Island (any input on the Best Western in Kingscote?)
9th of April open
10th of April open
11th of April 2 nts Sydney (can shorten this to 1 nt)

Was thinking of driving from Adelaide to Sydney and staying along the way.

Thanks so much!
Sep 30th, 2003, 03:44 PM
sandi

>>4th of April fly to Ayers Rock or Alice Springs for 2 nights (hotel tba) planning to go to Uluru (not sure if driving/doing tour)
6th of April open
7th of April open
8th of April 1 night Kangaroo Island (any input on the Best Western in Kingscote?)
9th of April open
10th of April open
11th of April 2 nts Sydney (can shorten this to 1 nt)

Was thinking of driving from Adelaide to Sydney and staying along the way<<

If on April 8 you plan to be on Kangaroo Island, suggest you head from Alice to (fly)MEL mornig April 6 where you can spend rest of that day exploring MEL; the next day April 7 you can do a "fast" drive out on the Great Ocean Road which is well worth it.

Kangaroo Isl is off the coast from MEL, not Adelaide.

On April 9 morning you can fly to SYD and have 3-1/2 days there. One day you can rent car and drive out to Blue Mntns. or take train or a bus tour. There is plenty to do/see in the Sydney area.

If you don't want to fly to SYD you can rent a car and drive from MEL with a stop in Cambera and then onto SYD.

Now, where did the Adelaide fit in?

Sep 30th, 2003, 10:14 PM

"Kangaroo Island is off Melbourne not Adelaide" - since when!!
Oct 1st, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Sandi - am planning to do the Blue Mtns and other things when we're in Sydney for the first 5 days.

Adelaide is the closest large city to Kangaroo Island (Tasmania and King Island are off Melbourne), so that is where Adelaide came into play.

Oct 1st, 2003, 06:42 PM
sandi

Oh so sorry! I'm usually very good with maps, but since I didn't even look (as we didn't do Kangaroo), rather friends did and they went from MEL - that's most definitely my error, I should have checked!!

The Blue Mntn area is lovely. We rented a car for a day and drove early from SYD. The weather was so lovely and cool - when we returned to SYD later in the day it was over 100 degrees.

Oct 2nd, 2003, 09:06 AM
MMT

My husband and I spent 3 mos in Australia and New Zealand this past Jan/MAr. From our experience I would start in Syd as you plan, got to GBR again as you mentioned. From Cairns I would fly to Uluru( do not miss the Sounds of Silence dinner and buy a fly net ..you will need it ) and spend 2-3 nights there. We did Alice Springs and then chartered a flight to Uluru . If you have loads of time do Alice but you would not miss much by leaving it out.
I would then fly Uluru to Adelaide. The Botanical gardens there were a highlight. We did a tour of Maclaren Vale wine area and then flwe to Kangaroo Is. It was a highlight..We stayed at the Lookout B&B. You have your own 2 bdrm apt . Meals are fabulous and tours are included. I would suggest 3 nights to really see everything.
We then flew back to Adelaide and then to Portland..just at the western end of the Great Ocean Road. We rented a car there and drove to Melbourne. We did it in a day...very long day ..I would suggest an overnight to really appreciate it. I cannot comment on the drive from there to Sydney but was told it was a long and not always interesting road to Sydney. You could also go via Canberra...back to Syd.
Hope this helps.

Search this Thread