Australia Itinerary in April/May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've decided to start a new post since it looks like having not checked back for a week on my old one it had been hijacked for some kind of ongoing internal argument.........must say it goes against all I've ever heard about how nice and friendly the Aussies are!---maybe not to each other?

Anyway, I appreciate the mosquito Dengue fever heads up since I am fair and VERY attractive to mosquitoes day or nite and I know someone who recently was infected and became very ill.

What a really need to know assde from warnings (thank you, though) is, do we need a car from Cairns to get to the Heritage Lodge in Daintree or for maximum mobility there OR are there sufficient/preferable modes of transportation to/from and around Cape Trib.

Also, places to stay in Perth whilst husband commutes for business in Belmont, so that I can be conveniently located to explore, get to Fremantle, the beach, etc. What other things should I look to do in/around Perth (5-6 days).

Places to stay in the Blue Mountains? We don't mind driving on the left so should we have our own vehicle to explore there? (2-3 days) I can't hike much but my husband does, can he join a group or go off on his own? while I stay behind a paint/photograph, etc.?

thanks for any, and all advice.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM

For the Blue Mountains I would hire a car, it will enable you to get away from the crowds if that's what you want to do. Echo Point, near to Katoomba, is the most busy section of the mountains.

I prefer staying higher up the mountains where it's less busy. The Imperial Hotel at Mount Victoria is well situated:

http://www.bluemts.com.au/historyHig...s/Imperial.htm

Hydro Majestic at Medlow Bath and the Carrington at Katoomba are also historic hotels.

Your husband can easily go bushwalking in that area, there are plenty of well marked walks. Glenbrook information centre, at the beginning of the mountains, has lots of pamphletts showing the walking tracks around different towns (Blackheath, Katoomba etc). They are from the National Parks and Wildlife service and they also explain the flora, fauna and the geology of the area.

Behind Glenbrook there's a section of the National Park where you can see kangaroo that have been introduced to that area.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM

Sun Palm Express runs a coach service from Cairns
Airport up to Cape Trib, but there's no local bus service (or at least not one when you want it) around that area. I'd definitely rent a car from Cairns airport, will give you an opportunity to see so much more on the way north, and give you mobility in Cape Tribulation area. You will need to take vehicular ferry over Daintree River, no bridge. Road is sealed up to Cape Tribulation, so no need for 4WD.

If you'd like to spot wallabies en masse in Cairns' suburbia you don't even have to leave the Captain Cook Hwy - about 15 mins north of Cairns airport, between the turn-offs to Trinity Beach and Kewarra Beach there's a paddock full of them - you'll see more on an overcast day when they're not sheltering from sun, would be easier to stop on your return to airport as you'll be on the right (which is really left) side of the highway.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM

Yes, you ought to get yourself a car for Cairns/Daintree Cape Tribulation area unless you were to just rely on tours for the public bus services are very limited.

Other than Fremantle and beaches, there's the Swan River Valley and Mel has just made her first Perth item on that, even if not too impressed and then there's Rottnest Island just offshore, but as compared to east coast cities, there's a certain blandness to Perth.

Aside from some great hotels there are many B&Bs throughout the Blue Mountains but choose a hotel/resort in good size grounds or with dropping hub at a trail you ought to be able to find a bit to paint/photograph without having to hike about too much; also ask at visitors information centre to see if there are any open gardens current - private gardens that get opened to the public at times.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Marsha -

Regarding Perth, I just posted a long list of suggestions for you on my Taste of Perth thread.

For lodging, suggest you take a look at the Medina Grand or the Medina Executive Barrack (named after the street, not a barraks!). I've stayed in both (spent six weeks at the Medina Grand) and both are very well located in the CBD.

I apologize if this is a repeat - I can't remember if I already mentioned them on your hijacked thread (how bizarre was that by the way?).
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:09 PM

Bushy - 'blandness to Perth'??? I beg to differ! I think it's the best kept secret in Australia...
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:12 PM

On second thought, TAS is the best kept secret in Australia, but as cities go, Perth is a really nice one.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM

I would also hire a car even though Heritage Lodge used to (not sure of current practise) run a curtesy vehicle to and from the beach.

Perth is a great city. The odd person can have bland experiences anywhere. In Perth there are wonderful museums and things of that ilk, concert halls with international artists, top sports facilities, lots of parks and gardens and the people are as friendly as any city.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

THANKS, Great suggestions and just what I would expect from Fodor folks.

Thoughts about Ayers Rock? If we stayed at the Pioneer for 2 nights and then did the Sounds of Silence Dinner, paid for our own breakfasts and lunches, a couple of tours at sunset/sunrise and out to the Olgas would or wouldn't it be worth the treat to instead stay at Latitude 131? Are their included tours, meals, etc. worth the splurge (trying to add up all of the individual costs and compare it to the all inclusive (question is how many/extensive)meals, drinks, tours that are included in their 2 night rate.....any info, thoughts appreciated. Will also put this in a separate post to see if I can catch anyone who has stayed there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM

We stayed at Pioneer and were happy with it. There is a small supermarket in Yulara where you can construct your own picnic lunch.

I can't comment on Latitude 131, but in general Voyages (who run all of the hotels there) employ young inexperienced people (think gap year) who are sometimes terrific and sometimes a bit hopeless. As a consequence that location would not be the place I'd choose to splurge if you want luxury.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:34 AM

We drove from Cairns and stayed at Heritage Lodge a few years ago. I would definitely reccommend a car. We went horse riding there on the beach which was great. Have fun!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Well, two weeks until we leave and we've got most of our reservations in place and have done so in record time for research thanks to this board and Trip Advisor, but need a place near the airport in Sydney for early morning departures. Will be coming in from the Blue Mountains. Inexpensive, will just be sleeping there, but clean. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM

You've got http://www.airportinn.com.au/ and then a couple more, www.stamford.com.au and one under the accor banner, both likely to be as expensive or more so.

Formule1 is probably cheapest of lot and the wotif site lists some others too - http://www.wotif.com/hotels/hotel-fo...y-airport.html