House at 'The Rocks'

Jun 18th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

House at 'The Rocks'

I was checking out the apartments that could accommodate 7 people and came across the House at 'The Rocks' http://www.stayz.com.au/property/map?property_id=26453. There are no reviews of the propery, but it is well priced and I think in a good location. Does anyone have any input on this house?

Thanks!
Jun 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Anyone? Would you stay somewhere with out any reviews? http://www.stayz.com.au/26453?add-favourite=26453
Jun 20th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Hi Barbara -

I'm not familiar with this property, but I've used stayzcom.au before.

I see there are no reviews on the property's website - I assume you've done a search for reviews on other sites as well.

Keep in mind that some review sites, such as Trip Advisor, don't accept reviews for private rentals. I don't know if The Rocks is considered a private rental, but if it is, that might be why you can't find anything.

I've tried submitting reviews on several properties in AU and NZ that were turned down by TA, because they fell into their category of private rentals. The only criteria I remember offhand is that rentals which allow only single party bookings (such as a house, apartment, cottage) are considered private rentals.

It makes sense to look up reviews before making a decision (and to take the reviews with a grain of salt) but I suspect most people never bother to submit a review. The tendency seems to write a review if one has had a miserable experience, or if one is over the moon about their stay. The folks in the middle often don't bother to post.

Personally, I've stayed many places that haven't been reviewed online and I've found some gems.

Sometimes you just have to cross your fingers and jump.

Good luck.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:56 PM

So true, Melnq, and there are still many tourists, both international and domestic who aren't aware of the existence of on-line review boards so would hardly be writing them.

BarbaraS, yes I would certainly stay somewhere without on-line guest reviews and usually do, The Rocks is a great location and if the price is right, I'd go for it.
Jun 21st, 2008, 02:07 AM

Barbara...
I walked thru this part of the rocks today..down windmill st in fact.My comments...
-this is the 'real' rocks on the west side of the bridge approaches as opposed to the 'tourist'rocks on the east side of the bridge approaches.
-the photos of the quay and opera house and tourist rocks on the website are not taken from the property.
-this area is rapidly gentrifying
-there is a construction sight on the north side of windmill.
-it is a good location but not as good for the tourist sites as the places on the east side of the bridge,
-if you are satisfied with the interior pics I would be inclined to give it a go...I like this part of the roacks.
Jun 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the replies! This property fits our needs and is priced well, since the location sounds good, I think we'll give it a try. Thanks again!
Dec 20th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

We're back from our trip and I wanted to update this post.

Although we booked this for a week, we stayed only one night. Here's our complaints about the house: The bedrooms of the house are on top of a convenience store. The tiny door into the house is right next to the store. People hang out in front of the store (the house) eating their ice cream, drinking their soda, or smoking. One guy sat on the steps going in to the house to smoke, and the smoke came under the door and filled the living room. We had to ask him to leave. Later there was a knock on the door and someone asked my son for money. The door didn't have a lock inside the door and I felt a bit unsafe. The downstairs living room and dining area were really tiny and very dark.

But we decided to make the best of it and went grocery shopping and then out to dinner. When we got home from dinner it was dark, my husband turn on the light in the kitchen and roaches scattered everywhere. Since it was late and there was nothing we could do until morning we spent the night there. As we lay in bed trying to get to sleep, the people at the bar across the road were so loud they sounded like they were in the next room.

In the morning we walked down to the rental office and told her about the roach problem and that we wanted to leave. She said she would have the exterminator come in the afternoon, but we didn't want to stay and deal with all the problems. We told her we were happy to pay for the night we spent there, but she said she wouldn't be able to rent it out and would have to charge us for three nights. But we decided we had spent so much money to get to Australia, that it would be worth it to spend a bit more and be happy with where we were staying.

I had doubts about the house, and I should have listened to my instincts. Live and learn I guess.
Dec 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Sorry to hear it didn't work out Barbara. Online descriptions and photos can often be misleading, but you just never know until you try.

Thanks for the follow up.
Dec 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Barbara, what is the actual street address and house number. please? I don't see it on the stayz site.

Thanks for reporting back. There is still a glowing review from July on the site. And the property is described as "A unique property - tranquilly set in the historic heart of The Rocks..."

I guess "tranquilly" was not your impression...

Thanks
Dec 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I sent Stayz my review of the property, but I guess the owners get to choose which reviews to put up. The house is across the street from the Lord Nelson Hotel on Argyle Place.
Dec 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM

You can see the intersection on google street view - I wonder just which of the buildings is "The House"?

Go to google, click on maps, input Argyle Place Sydney Australia, select street view and zoom and pan around - you see the bank on the other corner, the Nelson pub, so, which is "The House"?

Is it the brown brick building making the rounded corner, with the arcade over the sidewalk outside the shops?

Or is it the blocky brown brick building where you barely see a sign behind the grey truck that blocks the view?

The tan building on the third corner doesn't seem to have a shop.

Barbara, can you solve the riddle?

I'll be there in a few weeks and curious...
Dec 26th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

LOL - Well it's not a very clear shot of the blue door to the "house", but it is "the brown brick building making the rounded corner, with the arcade over the sidewalk outside the shops" The windows/balcony above the store are the house bedroom windows. The little white window with a half round down the street is the kitchen window.

Why so curious?
Dec 27th, 2008, 07:35 AM

"Why so curious?"

Because your description was in a way so detailed and yet - looking at the street scenery it felt like "so near and yet - so far".

Now we know. Thanks.