Search

Hotels in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Sophie

Hotels in Sydney

Hi, <BR>I am looking for a hotel in the Circular <BR>Quay area or The Rocks area (which one would be preferable?). I will be there for two nights with my boyfriend. I don't really want to spend Park Hyatt $$, especially because we probably will be out touring all day, but I want someplace, relatively nice, clean and well located. Would you recommend the Holiday Inn (what is the full name of this hotel?) or the Russel. I have seen postings on both, but would love to know which one of these is the best or if another is even better.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Sophie

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:15 PM
Alan

Hi, Sophie!<BR>For all intents and purposes, &quot;Circular Quay&quot; and &quot;the Rocks&quot; are one and the same. The Rocks is an area, and Circular Quay is, specifically, the docks where the ferries leave.<BR>The Russell is really the best of the bunch if you don't want to splurge on the Hyatt; in fact, I think I would prefer the Russell (even though it's only three storeys and doesn't boast views), as the Hyatt is just about under the Bridge, and, from the outside at least, the noise of the trains is intrusive (I'm sure the rooms are soundproofed). The full name of the Holiday Inn is, I think, &quot;Old Sydney Holiday Inn&quot;, (just make sure you don't get the Chinatown branch by mistake!)and it's good, also: only six storeys, so you may not get a room with a view unless you particularly ask for one. Another one worth looking at is the Lord Nelson Brewery, which is actually at the back of the Rocks, but in a very &quot;original&quot; area that hasn't been gussied up too much for the tourist trade. Quiet and historic. If you like an old irish pub with pretty basic amenities (it's mainly for drinkers) then the Mercantile is right in the heart of the Rocks, and is cheap to boot. Going right upmarket to near-Hyatt prices, you could also try Quay West and the ANA Grand, both of which are set high up and boast great views. Another choice is the hotel that used to be called the Regent -- it's just had a change of name (other posters help!)... it's right near the quaint old Russell, but there the similarity ends: it's a VERY high-rise and modern building, in no way &quot;quaint&quot;. On the other side of Circular Quay, getting out of the Rocks area, but right near where the ferries leave, is the Sir Stamford. Going back a bit from the water, the Renaissance is rather good value, and has rooms which look right at the Bridge, which most of the others don't do, as they are situated &quot;end-on&quot; with the approaches. This just about takes care of all the likely choices, but if I were you I would go with the very first one (the Russell) as long as you're not fussed about air conditioning (if you're going to be out all day, what's it matter?)<BR>Hope this has given you something to ponder. Good luck!

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 07:43 PM
Barbara

Alan--<BR>What a wonderfully helpful reply to Sophie. You certainly took a lot of time. Please know that it helped us as much as it's sure to have helped her.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:02 PM
happy

See Barbara, isn't Alan fantastic? I am secretly in love with him and that is why I am not using my real name on here.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Lloyd

We spent 6 vert comfortable nights at the OLD SYDNEY Holiday Inn in September.<BR>Expensive but very convenient. Not much atmosphere but there is a pub in part of the building. The Russell is cheaper but several rooms are not en suite. Try Harbour Kitchen at the Hyatt for decent food at not unreasonable (for Sydney) prices.<BR>Lloyd

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 10:35 PM
mel

To be pedantic (&amp; so Sophie doesn't get confused or lost ;-) ) the Rocks is really just the western section of Circular Quay.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Judy

HUH??? Didn't Alan just tell Sophie where the Rocks was?<BR><BR>But then, when I wish to take a Holliday, I am so very thankful there's posters like Alan Jarman.<BR><BR>And yes Mel, that is a tiresome focus - please try a new ploy. Something helpful perhaps??

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:17 PM
jb

The rocks &amp; circular quay are not one &amp; the same - I think thats all Mel was pointing out. I'm not sure why you would take that as an attack on Alan Judy. Cheers...

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Ken

The new name for the Regent is the Four Seasons. Very expensive, close to the same as the cost of the Park Hyatt.<BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Alan

I thank the above posters for their kind words, which are very encouraging; of course, Judy, the only reason there are helpful regulars on this board is that there are such pleasant and courteous posters such as yourself and Barbara and Happy! (P.S. Happy: Am mulling over your comments. Do you like dogs? Do you have money?)

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Patrice

I stayed at the Four Seasons (former Regent) in October and loved it! The beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The location was great because the Rock and Circular Quay were right next to it. The food and service were outstanding. We stayed there for about $180USD and we could have payed only $150USD if I would have booked farther in advance. I booked the cheapest room and then asked for (and received) an upgrade when we checked in.<BR><BR>If you like beer, go to Lord Nelson's, even if you don't stay there. We spent a couple afternoons sitting at the bar, drinking the beer they brew on site, and chatting with locals and the bartenders. They have a restaurant as well, but we only snacked at the bar (they make great french fries!).<BR><BR>Patrice

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Happy

Well now Alan I happen to have a bit of money but if you are a very expensive &quot;toy-boy&quot; then I am not in that league. Yes I do like dogs too. So now you will have to be very, very careful that when I return to Australia I don't hunt you down and make you put your money where your mouth is! he! he! All in good fun eh? <BR>

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Alan

Actually, Happy, it was YOUR money that I planned to put where my mouth is! (Sorry, Sophie, for clogging up your post!)

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Jacqui

I have stayed at the ANA, Interconti &amp; Regent (now Four Seasons). My favourite is the ANA - the rooms are a very good size (found Regent rooms a bit small) and the location and views are wonderful. The Interconti is OK, but I personally prefer to stay at the Rocks end of Circular Quay.