Hotel Near Airport in Cairns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to find a hotel for a one night stay in Cairns (the rest of the time we will be in Port Douglas) and I'd like to be right near the airport because we have a 5:45am flight out. I can't seem to find any specifically listed as being near or at the airport. In particular it would be nice to find one that has a shuttle to the airport so we can drop off our car the night before and save a little on the rental. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Cairns doesn't have a specific airport hotel as the airport is only a 10 minute (at the most) drive from many hotels in Cairns city. From ordinary motels to 5star hotels. Many have shuttle services but taxis are highly reliable and cost about AU$14. If the hotel doesn't have a shuttle at a time that suits, just get them to phone Black and White taxis (only taxi company in town) - either the night before if hotel doesn't have 24hr desk staff or in the morning if they do.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! This is very helpful.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:05 AM

As Pat has said none of the hotels are very far from the airport in Cairns but one which is a bit closer than the others, and also a great place to stay, is The Lakes Cairns Resort. I think it only took us 5 minutes to drive there from the airport. If you should stay, a walk through the Botannical Gardens and Lake area next store is well worth it.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Sounds nice. We were planning on heading back to Cairns the day before our flight and seeing what there was to do there. A botanical garden and lake sound right up our alley ! I'll check it out.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM

The Botanic Gardens and the parklands opposite are truly beautiful.

I second Pat's recommendation with the taxi service in Cairns. Excellent service, never had a problem.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I stayed at Rainforest Grove and the owner, Rob, was fantastic. He picked us up from the airport at 11am and delivered us back at the airport at 4:45 am a few days later for NO added cost.

If you are on a budget, give this one a go as the rain-forest setting will ensure a pleasant nights sleep.

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 01:23 AM

Yes, The Lakes is only about 5 mins from airport. Nice place, away from hustle and bustle and if you stay there and want a really good meal, hop in a taxi and in 5 minutes you'll be in Stratford with Lemongrass and Garden Rooms restaurants where you won't find tourists, just discerning locals. Lemongrass is licenced for serving wine, Garden Room is BYO, but you can pick up what you will at Barron River Pub bottle shop, just nearby.