Hobart, drive time logistics help requested

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hobart, drive time logistics help requested

I will have a rental car while in Hobart and wish to do a few day trips from Hobart, but I need help with the logistics of drive time.

1. Specifically, how far of a drive is it from Hobart to Mount Wellington, and are there places of interest to see along the way that we should stop and visit? What to see and do while there?

2. How about from Hobart to Port Arthur? Same question, what is drive time and the must see stops along the say? What to see and do while there?

3. What about Freycinet National Park? Drive time from Hobart, and must see stops? What to see and do while there?

4. Same for Huon Valley. Drive time and what to see and do while there, and on the way there?

5. And last, Mount Field National Park. What is drive time there, and what do you recommend we see and do along the way? What to see and do while there?

Additionally, of these five destinations from Hobart, how would you rank in an order of 1 to 5, with 1 being highest ranking must do destination, followed by 2 through 5.

Thank you, I hope your replies will help me with my planning in Tasmania, and prioritize and logistically manage my way around to these sights and destinations. Thank you for your help.
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM

It took me about 3 hours to drive from Hobart to Freycinet and I think it was about 1 hour and a half to Port Arthur, can't help you with the other ones. There was lots of road kill in Jan/Feb this year on that coast, so I was driving reasonably slowly to avoid adding to it.

Melnq8 has previously posted a road distance calculator for Tasmania, if you use the search function above hopefully you can find it. That tool is probably more reliable than my memory!
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM

There is so many things to see and do in the Huon Valley it would be best if you googled it as there is a road map on one site I am sure. I live there and so I know what is available but it would take me ages to write it all down
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM

Hobart's built on the footslopes of Mt.Wellington. Probably about 20k to the summit.
This link might be useful. Otherwise, Google "driving directions" - Google maps are pretty accurate.
http://www.about-australia.com/tasma...mt-wellington/

Once in Tasmania, you can obtain a map with the distances & driving times to most major destinations.
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I personally would not try to make a day trip out of anything but Mt. Wellington and perhaps Mt. Field. Tours, etc. do go to Pt. Arthur for the day, and I have done that, but it was a LONG day. Freycinet is not a reasonable day trip unless all you want is driving. The Huon is a magical place - I was converted by LizzieF sometime back and you need to leave Hobart and actually stay there to take advantage of what it offers.
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Drive distances:

http://www.rentforless.com.au/distances.htm

Links to two Tassie trip reports I have here on Fodor's that might help with travel times and what to see and do along the way, as we've done all you've mentioned in your post:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=34540728

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=34790967

Mt Field and Mt Wellington are easily done as a day trip from Hobart. We did Port Arthur as a day trip too, but there's a lot to see along the way and you can easily spend hours and hours at Port Arthur if you're so inclined, so give yourself plenty of time.

NOTE: On our first visit, we spent an entire day on the Tasman Peninsula and we didn't even visit the penal settlement of Port Arthur - like I said, loads to see and do.

We visited the Huon Valley as a day trip from Hobart on our second visit, but we barely scratched the surface. This was our route, which included Mt Wellington:

Route: Loop from Hobart via A6/B68 to Kingston, then on to Margate, Kettering, Flowerpot, Middleton, Cygnet, Huonville and Grove, then B64 to Fern Tree, up to Mt Wellington, and back to Hobart.
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:51 PM

BUT do not turn back to Hobart at Huonville because that is where some of the best countyside starts - continue down the Huon through Frankin which as some interesting things to stop and see through Castle Forbes Bay into Geeveston and go out to the Tahune Airwalk and take some of the walks that go off that road. Continue down that area when you get back to Geeveston but take the road that goes around from Geeveston and to Roaring Beach en route to Dover then onto Hasting Caves and perhaps a swim in the thermal pool. AS I said - google Huon Valley
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We visisted Geeveston and the Tahune Airwalk on our first trip, which is why it's not included in the route I mentioned above. I agree with Lizzy that there's loads to see and do and you could easily spend several days in the Huon Valley, and we hope to do just that on a future visit.