Hervey Bay & Lady Elliot Is - questions

Jan 12th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Jo

Hervey Bay & Lady Elliot Is - questions

We are thinking of having a few days at Hervey Bay to see what the fuss is about, then take a plane over the Lady Elliot Island for another couple of nights to snorkel on the reef.

Does anyone have any recommended places to stay at Hervey Bay (moderate price) & I would appreciate any first hand knowledge of both H.B and Lady Elliott Island ie huts/food/snorkelling quality.

Thanks, Jo

PS: We are travelling with our 2 kids (6&4)

Jan 12th, 2002, 10:57 PM
LizF

Hervey Bay -forget it, if you are going to do anything stay on Fraser Island. I cannot imagine that there is any fuss about Hervey Bay. As a kid I used to go there every September for the railway picnic and that was one day too many.
Lady Elliot is lovely for diving but there is little there - mind, things can change over the years. Still its a great place for snorkelling etc.

Jan 13th, 2002, 12:42 AM
LizF

I should elaborate on Hervey Bay:
Its a big, shallow bay and when the tide goes out you have about 6inches of water for what seems 100s of mtrs and the water is warm/hot. HB is a hot place as its sheltered by Fraser Island and always seems to be 10degC hotter than anywhere else. There are so many other lovely places to go that I would hate to see someone stuck there. Yes I know there are people who love it.

Jan 15th, 2002, 04:23 PM
ash

I found this company to be really helpfull.... they may be able to help you. not sure what their phone number is, however their website is www. trekaustralia.com.au or without the .au (I think)

Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:56 PM
lori

Hi Jo,
You could stay at Hervey Bay but as mentioned by LizF in an earlier post, you may prefer to stay on Fraser itself.
I would recommend KingFisher Bay Resort on the western side of the Island. They have a good EcoRangers club suitable for your children. The accommodation is either in the Motel Style rooms or the Villas (which are self-contained). We did a day trip in one of their 4WD buses - good commentary and the best way to see the main sights.
Be VERY VERY careful with your children - do not leave them unattended. There have been increasing problems with the dingoes on the island. Over the years their food source has almost been depleted (they closed the rubbish tips where they scavanged and removed the wild horses - Brumbies). Since more and more tourists have been to the island, the dogs have become more used to humans - not only have humans been feeding them in an attempt to get "the perfect picture", but there have been incidents of attacks - most concerning the tragic death of a young boy (10 yrs) last year.
But Please dont let this put you off seeing such a beautiful place. Just use common sense and you will be safe.
Highlights to see include - Lake McKenzie; the Eastern Beach (75 miles of unspoilt beach); Central Station; Pile Valley; Fishing for Whiting and Flathead off the Beach, the wild flowers and the Dingoes. (Yes they really are the most beautiful creature, but if they are starving they will act like any pack animal...)
Now as for Lady Elliot Island. It think its about a 40 minute flight from Hervey Bay.
The resort has been upgraded over the last few years, but remains more of a laid-back place to visit (no disco's or nightclubs).
The permanent tent style accommodation is more than adequate for your needs.
Excellent diving and snorkling - the coral has not been overrun by tourists so it is more pristine. Reef walks by guides; its also a nesting island for birds such as noddy terns; and in Turtle season (Oct to Jan) you may get to see a loggerhead or flatback come up on the beach to lay, or the eruption of dozens of baby turtles after they hatch and scurry off to the water's edge.
Have a great time!

Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:09 PM
Jo

Thanks Liz,Ash & Lori for your comments - much appreciated.

Lori - is Heron Island any better (island/snorkelling/kids) wise than Lady Elliott? Is it worth the extra effort to get there? If so, why?

Thanks again.

Jo.

Feb 4th, 2002, 12:56 AM
lori

I havent been to Heron, but would imagine that they are quite similar in what they have to offer. Both appear to cater for the Diving/Eco Tour type market and neither are aimed at the "trendy" upmarket/nightclubbing Island holiday. Both are coral cays of around the same size and although Lady Elliot is further south, their flora/fauna would be similar.
I would say that considering your intention to go to Hervey Bay/Fraser Island, then it would probably be more convenient going to L.E.
Lady Elliot has a direct flight from the HB airport whereas you would probably need to fly to Gladstone and then get a connector to Heron. (But having never done that trip before, you may want to research it directly with the Tourist Info centres - Bundaberg or Hervey Bay Centres for Lady Elliott and probably either Rockhampton or Gladstone for Heron. (I hope my geography is correct)
Sorry I cant give you any more info

Feb 4th, 2002, 11:47 AM
LizF

Take Lori's advise and do some research on the two islands - they are very different in all ways actually. But yes you would have to get transport from Gladstone to Heron

Feb 4th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Jo

Thanks again for your input.

LizF - I am posting these questions on this board as part of my research - you mention that both islands are very different in all ways- please elaborate - how?

Jo.

Feb 8th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Allan

this site may be of assistance if you haven't already checked it out

http://www.hervey.com.au

hope this helps

Allan