Reload this Page >

Kangaroo island or Fraser Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:02 PM
jj

We(2 adults,& 2 preteens) have 25 nights for Australia this Dec./Jan. So far we are thinking of 2 nights in Sydney; 4 nights around Jervis Bay, & Durras area; 1 night in Gladstone & 4 nights in Heron Island; 5 or 6 nights at the Gold Coast. For the in between 9 nights I need help deciding whether to: 1) Fly to Adelaide(from Sydney) and go over to Kangaroo Island for 3 nights then back to Adelaide and drive north aways for 3-4 nights; or: 2) Fly to Brisbane from Gladstone (after Heron Isle.) and drive up the Sunshine coast to Fraser Island (or drive down from Gladstone to Fraser Island). Concerns are having to fly way over to Adelaide, is K.I. worth it? and will K.I. be chilly? And will Fraser Island be crowded around X-mas and is it really worth visiting. I have made up my mind about Heron, definately want to go there. Main interests are wildlife viewing, and I thought at least at the Gold Coast we can go the nearby parks (in addition to the beach and themepark, kidstuff). Thanks to all for any input! A final question is whether staying at the Kingfisher resort gives you a real feel for Fraser or not.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 01:19 PM
LizF

OK lets start: <BR>2 nights in Sydney is nowhere near what it would take you to see the things you would like to see, and the children too. I would be looking at something like 5 nights. Next, why are you going to go to Jervis Bay? If there is no particular reason to go there then don't. <BR>Take out Gladstone ..... please, it is a ..hole, if you are really wanting to see the reef proper then go to the Whitsundays as you will see more wildlife there than on Heron - about the only thing on Heron Island are the Herons and they are noisy birds at the best of times. There is nothing there that the children would find terribly interesting either.<BR>You will see other wildlife in and around the Gold Coast as the hinterland is spectacular in its National Parks and flora and fauna. Also there are some wonderful fauna parks on the GC too.<BR>Kingfisher Resort on Fraser Island does give you the "feel" for the island. However don't expect reefs, snorkling etc there as its a large sand island and not a tropical one. There won't be too many tourists there, there never are too many and the island is 90 miles long so can absorb a lot of people. Kingfisher is an eco-lodge. <BR>I would think about taking the train from the Whitsundays down to Fraser if you wish to go there, or if you have a car then drive the distance. You can go into Eungulla Gorge west of Mackay then and check out the lovely rain forest there and wildlife. There is a lot to see on the Sunshine Coast too and it would make for a nice leisurely trip in preference to a frantic one. <BR>I think that perhaps you could do some research on Fraser Island before you decide whether you wish to go there or not. I had some US friends who went there and couldn't see why it would be of interest to anyone - on the other hand I just love the place so its not for everyone and may not be for you. <BR><BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 03:30 PM
jj

Thanks, Liz. Actually we were thinking of going to Pebbly beach near jervis-any comments? Isn't 5 nights in Syd too long? Which Whitsunday? 3 or 4 night sailing trip there? (I know this is about 1/2 the price of Heron-I just thought Heron was THE spot to go in Australia). Also, what about Kangaroo Isl. and Adelaide.? Thanks!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Louise

Yes, there are herons on Heron Island but the offending birds are the noddy terns which make a racket all day long everywhere. At night the wedge-tailed shearwaters also join in from their nests in the ground. They have the most eerie moaning cry at night. It is said that sailors were afraid of the island many years ago because of the noises. Both birds nest from October to May and it does smell!! - jj - you will get a lot of responses from people who have been there in the text search at the top of the page.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Louise

jj - About Fraser Island - it is quite beautiful but I wouldn't want to spend much time there. The beaches were lovely but no one swam - we were told because of sharks. There was swimming at a very small lake in the interior which you need a vehicle to get to.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:48 PM
LizF

Yes it is true that its the turns which make all the noise on Heron, I slipped up there. Anyway Heron Island is nowhere near the best of the islands on the GBR and being on its own you have no other choices like you do say in the Whitsundays which has about 80 islands. Yes a self - sailing trip around the Whitsundays would be fantastic as you can call into any island and spend the day, habited or uninhabited. You get a little dingy with an outboard motor as well and you can get on and off islands quite easily. <BR>Australia has 100s if not 1,000s of wonderful beaches and although I have not been to Pebbly Beach I can't imagine that it ranks at the top of the list at all. <BR>No 5 nights in Sydney is not too much. You will need the first night to get over your flight which leaves 4. By the time you have been to Taronga Park Zoo, Bridge Climb, Harbour trips, Aquarium, Darling Harbour, Sydney explorer Bus etc etc. Taken a day trip perhaps to the Blue Mountains, Hawkesbury River cruise, beaches you won't have any time left. Also if possible you would want to be in Sydney for New Year celebrations which are a very big thing there and a lot of fun for everyone as well as the children.<BR>I would think that going to Kangaroo Island would be too far out of your way because 25 nights could so easily be taken up just going from Sydney to Whitsundays and spots in between. If you drove there would be lots of things to do and see en route and that would make for a terrific holiday. <BR>Also I would not go to Fraser Island with the intent of swimming as there is not a safe area there which is manned other than the lakes which are beautiful. Leave the swimming for other beaches and the Gold Coast.