HELP - Possible Date Change for Australia Trip

Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

HELP - Possible Date Change for Australia Trip

We were planning to visit Australia in March - after a stopover in Hong Kong, we'd go to Tasmania, then Sydney for a few days (to see my mother-in-law), then Byron Bay. My husband would then finish up with another week or 2 in Sydney and I'd fly home to Toronto. However, I was just approached today about a new assignment at work - it would run into March and possibly April. I'm unwilling to move my vacation to May timeframe, but I'm wondering about April. From what I've read, the weather might be iffy in Tasmania. I know it's still autumn in Sydney, so probably still pleasant. What about Byron Bay? Should we re-consider Tasmania? We usually have a very dreary winter in Toronto so good weather is important to me! Although I was quite excited about Tasmania, we're open to other places as well. (We spent a lot of time in Sydney when we visited in 1996, plus went to Cairns area, so would prefer to see something new.)

I've got to talk to my husband tonight to see if he's willing to change plans as well. I could always say no to the assignment, but then I could find myself having to accept something that might be even worse!

I'd appreciate some advice.
Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I saw the other post about Kakadu and I'm wondering about that instead of Tasmania. It definitely appealed to me when we first thought about going, but it just seemed so far - plus the weather sounded bad for March. Maybe later in April - sounds like the start of the dry season?
Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
Janese

Tasmania will be cool but compared to Toronto it is not too bad at all and certainly good travelling weather. I would say about 16 deg highs and about 8 deg min. In Kakadu it will be 36 high and 24 min. Darwin is not quite as hot as Kakadu as Darwin is right on the water.
I actually like Tasmania in the autumn and spring rather than the middle of winter or summer. There is plenty to do and at least it is good hiking weather. Bryon Bay is fine in April not hot but certainly too cool for people up this way to swim but not for those from cooler climates. Just remember that unless you are renting a car then Byron Bay will be very boring after a day or so. Its the area around there that is nice to see. Sydney's weather will be just great and the Royal Easter Show should be on sometime about the time you are there. Hope that helps a bit.

Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:44 PM
Janese

Just another point - weather will be great in either April or March in Kakadu - just a tad warmer thats all. It would be unusual for them to have bad weather/ rain in March but even if rain did occur it would only cool things down a bit for the short time that it rained.

Oct 3rd, 2003, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janese. Actually Tasmania in April sounds very similar to Toronto in April, weather-wise. So that's not appealing! I think we'll opt for Kakadu and Darwin instead. I think Kakadu might be a 'once in a lifetime' kind of thing as well. I'm quite excited!