Reload this Page >

Help Australia or South Africa ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 02:37 PM
mk

I need some good advice. We have two and a bit weeks to spend sometime in March and cannot decide between South Africa (Cape Town, Garden Route, Safari) or Australia(Sydney, Ayers Rock, Daintree forest, Lizard Island). Australia will probably work out to be more expensive, but seems like it is worth the money. We have been a bit worried about casual crime in South Africa. Any views ?? I know both are amazing, but I really need to decide once and for all !!!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:07 PM
ARnie

Casual Crime!!!!!!When you consider that 50% of women in Capetown ( a not so crime ridden place - yet) in their life time expect to be assulted. That car-jacking is expected in Jo'berg ( the city with the highest crime in the world) and other places, that people surround their houses with 12 ft high barbed wire and have elaborate security services to look after them, that rape, assualt, murder and mayhem is the trade mark of South Africa, I think the answer is obvious. All too many people go on a holiday thinking that "it could never happen to me" but all too often it does happen. <BR>Because Australia's $ is so low you may be surprised at how far your money actually goes here. S.A. Safaris are not cheap. However do your homework and if we can help you with information about Australia - just let us know

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 03:15 PM
LizF

You may like to read the following before you decide. It was sent to me by one of my S.A friends ( one who has left) and it was written by people in S.A so the information is not biased. <BR>http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/4627/

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 10:17 AM
mk

Thanks for the insight !!! I have heard alot of mixed views on South Africa. The statistics are awful, but I have to admit all the people who I know have said they did not have any problems. I think I may just go for Australia, don't want to be in a place where I'll have to think twice about going out at night etc.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 07:09 PM
thor

Monica: My wife is South African, and every time we think about going to visit her homeland, a relative tells us another horror story. On the other hand, we have visited Australia several times, and have always had a good time in comparative safety. We are not nervous travellers, but if you talk to people who have really travelled in S.A., and not being protected by a totally packaged tour, you would choose Australia hands down.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:20 AM
monica

Thanks for the advice. We would have probably tried to use guides and tours in SA, but given what everyone has said I'd rather just book Australia and have peace of mind. Now I just have to narrow down where to spend two wks in Australia...seems like there's a lot to see!!!!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 11:55 AM
spud

Since this forum is biased towards travel to Australia & the pacific you should also post this question to the Africa forum for some different viewpoints.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 04:24 PM
ash

I found this company to be really helpfull.... they may be able to help you. They have tours to both Australia n Africa....not sure what their phone number is, however their website is www. trekaustralia.com.au or without the .au (I think)