Great Ocean Road - 1 day ??

Jan 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
aby
Original Poster

Great Ocean Road - 1 day ??

Hi Everybody
Is there any point to doing 1 day along the GOR ? what would it b like ?
thanks
aby
Jan 28th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Yes no problems. You could stop in at Torquay & Bells Beach. These are surfing hot spots and are a good stop for a breakfast and shopping at some iconic Australian surf outlets. You could continue down to Lorne which is far enough out to get some excellent views of GOR have a lunch. From here you can swim in the main patrolled beach, go hiking to the water falls - not large falls but an excellent hike through bush - go shopping as Lorne has a tourist focus and return back to Melbourne in a day. I have been coming here for 30 years and I along with thousands of Melbournians can never get enough. Depends on what you want to do there is lots you can pack in.
Jan 29th, 2006, 01:22 PM
aby
Original Poster

Thanx Beagle
suppose we'd like to focus on SIGHT SEEING, short walks. No shopping ...
i understand Torquay is ~ 100 km from Melbourne how far can one reach in a day (returning to melbourne)?
How far are Lorne Apostles London Bridge etc'? Sorry i haven't gor a map...
aby
Jan 29th, 2006, 05:14 PM

You can get from Melbourne to the 12 Apostles and back in one day but it would be a fairly long day. The GOR is a winding drive and if you spend all day on it, there's a fair chance someone will finish up car sick. Suggest you check out the web site: www.greatoceanrd.org.au. Torquay is an easy drive from the city - takes about 90 minutes.
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Although I have no love of bus tours generally, if you wish to do all the main sights of the GOR in one day it might be worth considering doing a day tour. If it is a LOT of driving to be doing yourself on windy roads and the driver needs to concentrate on the driving rather than the scenery (especially if it is the wrong side of the road for you). There are a number of companies which offer day tours. I'm afraid I can't give any recommendations apart from the Wayward bus but they don't do day tours as far as I am aware. If you do a search for Great Ocean Road tours you will come up with several different tour companies.

If you do wish to drive it yourself I would be planning an early start so you are in, say Anglesea or Lorne, by about 9-9.30am for breakfast. This will take you 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Then you will then have preety well the whole day to do the drive and stop off at the various sites. It will take you about 3 hours to drive back via the inland route to Melbourne from the 12 Apostles.
Jan 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM

You can do it in one direction, with a few stops as needed to rest, eat, and sightsee, but I wouldn't say you can go as far as the Apostles (which is towards the end) and go back the same way the same day. That would be nuts.

We passed Geelong on the way out at about 8:30 and got to Warrnambool at 6PM, and we didn't stop anywhere for very long. There seems to always be substantial roadwork going on, we were crawling for long stretches, and the speed limit is 100 km/h, not bad for the narrow road, but you don't want to exceed that.

So give it a day going and a half-day coming back (along the faster inland main highway), or expect to make the trip back long into the night if you turn around the same day.

WK
Jan 29th, 2006, 09:05 PM
aby
Original Poster

Thanks everyone

It is a BUS tour of a private group of friends doing also NZ on the same tour.
We don't have more than a day for it.
(Aus - also Sydney area, Uluru & Cairns Daintree etc')

Can u recommend best stops for view or short walk ?

aby
Jan 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Hi Aby,

In my opinion and if I only had a day I would aim to make Lorne the main destination. Most of the nicer stops between Melb and Lorne have been mentioned here - excpet I think for Anglesea and Fairhaven, although theses may appear as much of the same if you can't spend the time to explore and soak it up.

When I got to Lorne I would find some of the well sign posted or documented (there is a tourist office there http://www.tourismvictoria.com.au/pi..._2006/?page=09 )

walks - they range from 1.5Klms upwards.

Shandy makes a good point re bus tours, however I like driving the windy roads. I havent used a tour group, however I know with driving you can stop at 1 of the many lookout points on the way and soak up the many views.

The GOR is a high tourist destination so plan your drive accordingly if going during peak times - that includes hot weekends !

I found this site that may help with stops in Lorne.

http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/VICLorne.shtml

Jan 30th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Late News: From Anglesea to Apollo Bay the speed limit is now 80 kilometres per hour. It pays to observe this limit, as the traffic police are dynamite!
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM

We wanted to do the Great Ocean Road and only had one day for that and did not want to be in a bus for 12 hours. Instead, we got a driver (was supposed to have rented a car, but that fell through somehow). He drove us to Torquay where we got in a small plane and flew over the rest of the Great Ocean Road. It was fantastic. Seeing the 12 Apostles from the sky was awesome. The name of the company is Tiger Moth World. I booked everything over the internet. They were great. It was a wonderful alternative for us.
Jan 30th, 2006, 11:59 AM

We're going to do the GOR in one day.

We're staying the night before in Geelong, about 75km or 1 hour southwest of Melbourne. From Geelong it is about 25 km to Torquay, the start of the GOR. Then onto Apollo Bay is 90 km but it should take 90 minutes.

Apollo Bay to Warrnambool is 180 km, but should take 2.5 hours at a minumum if driving straight.

Warrnambool back to Melbourne along the Princes Hwy is about 270 km (3 Hours)

So just driving alone will take you 8 hours, add stops and whatnot and you are looking at 11 hours minimum.

After Warrnambool, we personally are continuing to Mt. Gambier,SA which is another 190 km or 2 hours on the Princes Hwy. So by staying in Geelong, we save the drive out of Melbourne and can be on the GOR at sunrise or shortly after it. An idea to consider.
Jan 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Hi guys, I need your advice. We'll be flying into Melbourne around 2pm and plan to drive down the GOR that afternoon and stay at Port Campbell that night with stops along the way. We were then planning to drive back up the GOR early that following morning to return the rental car by 1 pm at Melbourne. Do you guys think this is a feasible plan or would it be too dark by the time we get down to really enjoy any of the scenery? Thanks
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:57 AM

To plusone712:

If you arrive in Melbourne at 2 PM, factor in baggage claim and customs perhaps, and the time needed to get the rental car. Letís say you hit the road at 3 pm.

The drive to the start of the GOR is 100 km from Melbourne. If Melbourne is like Toronto, then rush hour is starting, so that will impede your progress. Say by miracle you make it to Torquay by 4:00 PM. Torquay to Port Campbell is about 200 km, a long way on a one-lane winding road.

Not sure what time of year you are going. In height of winter, the sun sets around 5:00 PM, in the height of summer, it sets at around 8:30 PM.

So even if you went in their summer, youíll still be rushing it. The following day should be fine if you get an early start. The end of the GOR is only 67 km from Port Campbell and then back to Melbourne is 3 hours along the Princes Hwy.

So in the end, it is doable, but just barely.
Feb 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Hi DasFx,
Thanks for the advice. We are going in the end of March- beginning April. How far do you suggest we drive down that first day? I think i like the idea of stopping someplace midway and getting up early to see the rest of GOR and driving back up via Princess Hwy.
Feb 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM

for anyone who wants to experience the GOR, the 2nd GOR International Marathon is happening on 20/21st May this year.

The full marathon is run from Lorne to Apollo Bay, with various other races over the weekend for the less committed of us.

Details at:
http://www.greatoceanroadmarathon.com.au
Feb 6th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Plusone, I suggest tht you drive as far as Lorne or Apollo Bay on the first day. Both have lots of accommodation available. Apollo Bay is approx one hour further than Lorne. At that time of the year you shouldn't need to book any accommodation ahead. So if you have had enough driving by the time you hit Lorne or it is starting to get dark you can stop there, or continue on to Apollo Bay if you are feeling up to it.
You will then be in a good position to do the rest of the drive the following day without overreaching yourself. As mentioned before, you need to allow sapprox 3 hours to drive back to Melbourne (via the inland route) from the 12 Apostles.