Search

Fremantle for 6 days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM
africa_lover

Fremantle for 6 days

Hi,

I am coming to Fremantle (first time Australia) for 6 days at the end of January. I am joining my friend and her son who is coming to study at the university of Notre Dame in Fremantle.
Any tips for those 6 days? Rottnest , anythng else?
We like good food and even better wine! Any tips of good restaurants?

Thanks,
Hilde

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have the whole 6 days free for sightseeing, or do you have to study, etc.
Freemantle has some interesting museums, like the one with the relics of dutch sailing ship "Bavaria", then there is other maritime museum down near docks (both worth visiting). Rottnest is certainly worth a day trip, don't forget to hire a bicycle for riding around the island, make sure you take your swimmers & towel, there are some beautiful little bays for swimming.
As for Freemantle - there are loads of restaurants/cafes, it wont take you long to walk around and sus out all these eateries, and the pubs also. There is a good rail service from Freemantle into Perth city. Freemantle also has its own beaches.
Make a point of visiting LIttle Creatures Brewery down by the water & jetties. They do meals, and have very nice boutique hoppie beer.
There is a very nice restaurant in Perth (can't think of its address or suburb)and its called Lamonts. Lamonts also have some very nice wines (they have wineries in Swan Valley & Margaret River), try their Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc, a very "cheeky" little wine.
I have relatives from Perth calling this afternoon, so I will ask them the address of Lamonts Restaurant, and some other good ones in Freemantle.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Whoops, the Dutch sailing ship is the Batavia, not Bavaria.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Hi there
little creatures is a must
have fun!
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hilde, Freo is a great place, lively and with lots to do. There is a free bus that does a circuit where you can hop on and off at places of interest. You can get a timetable at the tourist office in Freo. As Tropo mentioned, some good museums, the Shipwreck one was very interesting and you can do a tour over a submarine which I found a little claustrophobic but my husband loved.

You can catch a train into Perth, I think it took us about 20-30 mins and there is an area close to the station called Northbridge which is wall-to-wall restaurants with a very lively atmosphere. We just wandered along and picked somewhere, they all have menus out the front with prices. We also did a wine tasting cruise from Freo along the Swan River to Perth, you could do that one way and catch the train back. They pointed out all the mansions along the riverside owned by the rich. There are a few different cruise options, some include lunch etc.
Rottnest is a must, a great place to unwind for a few days.
Kay
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:06 AM
africa_lover

after our flight from Europe , which will be about 22 hours, it might be a good idea to take that cruise on the Swan river one of the first days.
Relax and enjoy the scenery , and some good australian wine, sounds perfect!!
Thank you Kay, tropo and Louy.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:31 AM
africa_lover

I just got home from my 6 days "freo".
It is one of the most lovely little towns I know. And the weather was just great 32°C (back home it is cold and raining).
Thanks for the tip on "little creatures" tropo and Louy. Every evening, we drank our last drink at the brewery, don't you just love that place?
We also took the train into Perth and did the Swan River Wine cruise, thanks for that tip Kay,
and ofcourse, Rottnest , is also worth visiting !
We didn't get to visit LAmont's, but had dinner at the waterside in Fremantle and tried out almost every restaurant there.
Our favourite was 'the musselbar' , but all of the restaurants had something special, if it wasn't the food , it was the view .
Thanks for your help, it was definitely very useful
bye mates!

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM

Hi- I guess this is a little to late to reply, but I will just in case others are curious about Fremantle. Deffiantly go to Rottnest! Fremantle has tons of great restraunts and cafes. I like Joy Kitchen (Chinese food). There are also tons of good Italian places too.