Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Perth and Surrounding Area for 5 days - what to do or stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are returning to Australia after leaving there 4 years ago (we lived there for 2 years) and want to hit some of the areas we did not make it to. We have planned 5 days in the Perth area with no agenda or hotel reservations. We are renting a car to take trips around the Perth area, we could even stay overnight somewhere else. Can anyone tell us about the highlights or must dos in this area? Info on hotels (we also like B&Bs)and restraurants would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Jacolyn, we often fly to Perth & tour around the countryside, and just love it. Its a beautiful part of Australia. I have driven north to Geraldton, Kalbari, and Shark Bay, but its a long, long drive.
You would be better to go south in that 5 day period. I would spend 2 days in Perth (or even 1 full day), then 3-4 days touring (pity you dont have more days up your sleeve)
Head south past Mandurah, then to Bunbury (on the South Western Highway), then make sure you drive to Cape Naturaliste, and enroute drive into a little beach called Eagle Bay (bluest water you will ever see), then follow, the road down to Margaret River (wineries), to Cape Leewun (very windy spot, where the Indian Ocean mingles with the Southern Ocean), then drive east across to Pemerton (beautiful forests, wine, woodwork). Then follow the road to Denmark & Walpole (if its warm enough in the water, go for a swim in Greens Pool near Denmark, large natural ocean rock pool), then continue your journey to Albany (so much to see here, Whale Museum, ocean rock features, old war forts, then return to Perth, via the Albany Highway, a good straight through run back to Perth.
I promise you, you will pleasantly surprised with this suggested itinerary and its wonderful scenery. Enjoy WA.
I can't remember all the places that we dined at, but just ask your host at each location, we will steer you in the right direction.
As for dining out in Perth, make sure you visit one of the fine Restaurants, situated on the different city beachfronts. As we often visit relatives at Floreat, we dine at different ones near Floreat or City Beach. There is also a very nice restaurant at Cottlesloe Beach, you can't miss, it really stands out.
I forgot to mention Freemantle - always worthy of a visit. There is a great boutique brewery there, which also serves good food.
We will be in Perth, late September, and if you like I can email you with some restaurant sugestions.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Jacolyn, I forgot to mention that the 3 day trip I suggested, can be done by driving:
* Perth to Margaret River region.
* Margaret River to Albany
* Albany back to Perth.
(Its a pity you don't have a few extra days, to really enjoy this part of W.A. by that I mean taking your time)
Also forgot to mention the Swan River region just outside of Perth, some nice wineries and restaurants. On our last visit, we had lunch in a German Restaurant there (can't remember the name)and enjoyed their locally made german wheat beers, with german sausage etc.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Just remembered the name of a good restaurant, that we ate in, last time in Perth...."Lamonts" at City East. Lamonts is also a winery in the Swan Valley. Their Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc wines are just fantastic. The Western Australians really know how to do this blend, so well. Also in the Margaret River region, there is Palandri Winery, very modern building, with outstanding wines to match.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We live in Melbourne and had 10 wonderful days in the west earlier this year. We stayed in Fremantle for 3 days at the Port Mill B&B which we loved. A friend also stayed there, on our recommendation, and enjoyed it. It's very central, only has 3 rooms so might be wise to book ahead. You can find it via www.babs.com.au
There is lots to see in Fremantle, there is a free CAT bus that does a circuit. Lots of restaurants down by the water. Had fish and chips and cold drinks at Joe's sitting outside, very laidback. We did a 2 hour wine cruise down the Swan River to Perth, looked around town and caught the train back to Freo. Perth itself was OK, nothing to rave over.

Rottnest Island is worth a visit, depending on the weather when you are there. You can hire bikes if you are keen or there is a bus that does an island circuit (about 50 mins all the way around). Beaches are fabulous. Trip takes about 30 mins by ferry from Freo or you can go from Perth.

Busselton is a nice town with a 2km jetty with a little train on it. Good fun and there is an underwater observatory at the other end. It was extremely popular when we were there and nearly booked out. Busselton is not far from the Margaret River area with all the wineries but I felt MR was over-rated. Mandurah is a nice spot to stop for lunch on the way if you travel south from Perth.

One other place that we would recommend is New Norcia. It's about a 2 hour drive north of Perth and is an historic Spanish Benedictine monastery complete with grand European style buildings in the middle of nowhere. Amazing place, have a cool drink on the hotel verandah. They have 2 tours a day and I would definitely time your visit for one of these as some buildings are only opened for the tour groups.
Hope you enjoy the west as much as we did.
Kay
About the car hire, we got a very good deal from Bayswater Car Hire once we arrived. They have a website.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great information! We are so excited about our return to Oz!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 09:33 AM
DJE

Another spot you might find interesting is called the Pinnacles. They are these most unusual rock formations over quite a large area and on our recent trip we found viewing these one of the highlights of our trip north from Perth. They are not too far out of the city and we saw lots of visitors that had come out for the morning or afternoon to view them and then head back to Perth.