fraser island to noosa head in QLD

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fraser island to noosa head in QLD

I went to the travelmate website which tells me that Fraser Island is 210km or 4+ hours from Noosa Head, but looking at the QLD map it just doesn't seem that far. Have I lost my mind, or are they really that far apart???? Any advice is much appreciated!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Most of the ferries to Fraser Island go from Hervey Bay. You can also do day trips from Noosa to Fraser Island.
I'm a bit confused about the distance/time involved but the road from Noosa Heads goes inland to the Bruce Highway, then north along the highway to Maryborough and then towards the coast again, so it's not what you would call 'as the crow flies'.
Are you driving a car or taking a tour?
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:55 AM

newlywed, that travelmate distance sounds about right to me if they're talking Hervey Bay as exit point to Fraser Island. Don't forget its a long island of about 125km, the longest sand island in the world.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:47 AM

Sounds too much to me. But maybe because the only time I have visited Fraser it was on an organised trip from Noosa, and we crossed to the island at the southern-most tip. I would suggest a google on ferries cos there are other connex apart from ex Hervey bay.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:24 AM

Yes, from Rainbow Beach at southern tip its about 140km to Noosa Heads, but I think travelmate is giving measurement from Hervey Bay, the most common access point.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:31 AM

I checked my RACQ map of SE Queensland. 210 km looks about right for the drive to Hervey Bay from Noosa, which lies on the coast roughly opposite the N-S halfway point of Fraser Island. Although Hook Point on the southern tip of the island is quite a bit closer, it is not the major entry point though barges do operate there.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM

newlywed - I live in Hervey Bay, and often drive down to Noosa Heads & other Sunshine Coast locations (we visit relatives at Maroochydore also)
I can tell you from experience that it takes 2 hrs & 20 minutes exactly, and thats keeping to the speed limit. I usually find that it takes a bit under 20 minutes to drive from Noosa out to the Highway, and then 2 hrs to Hervey Bay.
You can also drive from Noosa Heads out to the Highway, head north, and at Gympie, turnoff onto the Tin Can Bay/Rainbow Beach. At Rainbow Beach you can go on a 4WD organised trip of Fraser island (they drive up to Inskip point, get on the barge & across to the southern tip of Fraser Island)
Hervey Bay is situated approx. about half way in distance terms to Fraser Island, compared to Rainbow Beach.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM

I should have told you that Rainbow Beach is a lot closer to Noosa, than Hervey Bay. If you do go to Rainbow Beach, check out Rainbow Beach Surf Club (nice seafood meals, and a great spot to sit out on the timber deck, with a cold ale, looking north up to Fraser Island)
P.S. also visit Carlo Sandblow (great walking and excellent views of the coloured sands and double island point & lighhouse.)
Old Jul 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

thank you - really helps in my plans!