Search

Fraser Island

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fraser Island

As you have all been so helpful already, perahps you can help me with this one.

Myself and family were hoping to stay at a reasonablly priced accomodation at Fraser Island for 2/3 nights at the very end of July. Has anybody any suggestions? Also what sort of weather can we expect then?

Many thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Janese

Weather at that time of year will probably mean cold and windy. Anytime near the Brisbane Exhibition time means westerly winds which are rotten. There is very little accommodation on Fraser aside from Kingfisher Lodge as Fraser is more a camping island. I would not be going to Fraser at that time of year because one of the joys of Fraser is a swim in the fresh water lakes which have white sand and its toooooooo cold for that then.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Aah but we are from the UK, it could seem very warm to us. What is the Brisbane Exhibition?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:39 PM

Janese is right - those winter westerlies are vile - especially on a sand island - if you can go later (or earlier) than winter there is some beach house accommodation available which is a bit more economical than Kingfisher. I think its www.fraserislandbeachhouse.com.au - a search under Fraser Island will find it.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Janese

The Brisbane Exhibition is called the Ekka and is an Agricultural show with side shows etc etc - you have them in the UK but probably not as big. It is usually just an excuse for the kids to spend your money!
You would still find the water cold and the weather nasty even if you are from the UK. There are NO PATROLLED BEACHES ON FRASER ISLAND and as we seem to loose a tourist or 2 per week because they refuse to swim on a patrolled beach I can only warn you strongly on this. Also there is no shark netting on Fraser Island so an ocean swim is out of the question there.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Absolutely, Janese - the first time I went there my then 6 yo son told me he saw a "huge shark" - sure enough, there it was - about 10ft of it just basking a few feet from the shoreline. Not for swimming!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Don't fancy swimming with the Sharks although I hear they are trying to give up fish. What about the inland lakes, would they be warmer?
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Janese

No they will be colder. Unless you are a fisherman then Fraser is not the place to be in winter!

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Katie-I went to Fraser in mid-July and I don't remember it being too cold, just at night. I loved it there-a highlight of my trip. If there are sharks, just don't swim. I would still go, heaps of fun.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Janese

Don't get me wrong folks when I suggest that Fraser is not the place to be at the end of July. I love Fraser Island and I have been many times, however I don't know if katiekoko realizes that there is not a lot to do on Fraser other than swim, and walk around the tracks etc. When the westerlies come and it is cold and windy and without your own vehicle you cannot get any transport to the lakes anyway and I would assume that katiekoko would not have rented a 4 wheel drive sand equiped vehicle for her 2/3 nights stay.
There are many other places which they could go to and have plenty to do and see without worrying about weather and transport.
Katie - there are no roads on Fraser Island that go around the island, there is no public transport and people either get there with their own transport i.e. tyres with only 40% air in them to cope with the sand dunes and 4 wheel drive or they go on a tour which is usually only for one day - anything else goes up in $$$$$$$

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice.

We are going to Brisbane and area for 10 days and were thinking of hiring a camper van?!? I really like the look of Fraser Island and am aware that we would not be able to take a camper van to it, so I need to be really sure that we want to stay there.
I do know what the roads are like there, as my brother rescued some girls there a few years ago, who were stranded in a storm with their vechile broken down.
However, if the weather wasn't too bad, I'm sure we would like to stay there. Does anyone have any idea of the sort of temperatures that we could expect?
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Janese

You could be lucky and it could be 14 and 23 or you could be unlucky and it may be 5 and 15 with wind gusts.