Search

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Would You Do?

I've got loads of Airmiles to use up so I've been considering "Down Under". Now I'm recently single and in serious need of something to look forward to. If you could go anywhere and do anything "what would you do"? Let me preface that by saying that money is an object! I can fly anywhere but I do need to vacation on a relatively tight budget. I can sleep just about anywhere as long as its safe. Was even considering renting a van, throwing a matterss in the back and away I go exploring! Any help would be AWESOME! I live in central Canada right now. January is coming and I would love to be leaving. Please help me break up this winter, I'll try anything once. Thank You!
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 10:38 PM

Storman

Give us a clue about your age and interests.

For instance, in a recent issue of the Sydney Morning Herald there was an article on surfing safaris and surfing schools, that go along the east coast. It sounded just wonderful - learn to surf with likeminded people, have fun and see a bit of Oz - and not too expensive.

So:
cities
culture
animals
beaches
music
golf

what?????

and it's very warm in Sydney at present! C'mon down!

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:31 AM

Margo has a very good point - we need to know more about you.

What I can tell you is that prices in Australia seem to be very similar to those in Canada. Their dollar is about on par with ours, so while it's not so expensive, it's also not inexpensive.

We're planning a trip in April - my mother-in-law is in Sydney and we're visiting her. Unfortunately she's in a very small apartment so we're in a hotel. (I saw it's unfortunate only for cost reasons - I really do prefer not staying with her.) It's not our first trip, but didn't see a lot the first time around because she was ill. This time we're seeing a lot more of the country, so moving around a lot more. What I am finding inexpensive (much less than at home) are the domestic airfares. I got very good prices with Qantas and Virgin Blue during a seat sale. Prices included taxes, and were very low. Accommodation seems to be about the same as here. I think food will be about the same as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that you may not be able to get a flight using your Airmiles at the time you want to go. I just about always fly on points (either Aeroplan or Airmiles) - usually not a problem if I'm going to BC, but always a problem if I'm going somewhere more 'exotic'. Limited seats.

Good luck on what you decide! So far, we're having a very mild winter here in Toronto, but there's not a lot of sun. I would love to be going away in January!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Good Morning all, and thanks for your responses. Well I just turned 40 last October, I'm relatively active man and resonably fit. Like most, I could stand to lose 10 pounds. I love the water but have never surfed, snorkeling but not scuba diving. I enjoy golf and volleyball too. I find it hard to spend more than a couple of hours just sitting on the beach, I need to be walking and exploring. Finding great photo opportunities, I take alot of pictures. I prefer smaller bars to night clubs, and prefer classic rock and country to hip hop and rap. A couple of cocktails with goofy people and a karaoke machine is my kinda place. I enjoy camping and am not shy about roughing it, however if somewants to share a luxury motor home with me I tag along! I'll do all the cooking and cleaning...lol. I play the guitar, put me by a campfire and I'm a happy camper! Thanks Again!
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Doh

You might think about NZ too-- beautiful with lots of opportunities for treks and outdoor activities. Fewer people than Oz though
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Hi, storman_469!

Well, here's a switch -- me recommending something other than Sydney, Australia! But you did say that you were "suddenly single" (been there, done that) and that you were in need of something to look forward to (ditto) and I guess I can go one step further then, and say that you would like to get a whole new perspective on your life and what it's all about. That's certainly how I felt when I was in your position. So, my advice is: go to Vietnam. This is a place that might just change your life. For a start (and I will start a bit of controversy here) the young women of Vietnam are the most beautiful in the world; just watching them walk down the street, graceful and almost ethereal, as if they were a couple of inches off the ground, in their clean white ao-dais, makes you feel that God's in his heaven and all's right with the world. Straight and tall with long-flowing black hair that streams out from behind the bicycles they ride, they make just standing on the street corner and experience to cherish forever.

Next, the amazingly optimistic nature of all the people -- everywhere you will see people who are at peace with themselves in spite of dire poverty -- is something to absorb and make your own.

Next, it's almost ridiculously cheap, which is obviously a big consideration for you at this time... so cheap, in fact, that you will have money left over to start donating a bit while you are there to the child-care centres (such as Mama Tina's in Ho Chi Minh) or to the children selling postcards, or just to passers-by or needy families you will run into, and this will do wonders for your self-image. My advice is, instead of souvenirs and guided tours, start finding people and giving all you can. You start -- and this is not so easy when you are "suddenly single" -- to think of something other than your own situation again.

Finally, Vietnam has beautiful scenery, great beaches, and fantastic food (as, indeed, does my home town, Sydney). My first and only visit to Vietnam was in 1997, when I was just starting to get some order back into my life; I have been to several places since, but it's Vietnam that remains the place I can't wait to get back to, the place (as I tell everyone who will listen) that I just can't get out of my craw. Funnily enough, I have two friends who thought I was crazy to say all this (one thought there was only one place to holiday, New York) who finally gave in and went, almost reluctantly, to Vietnam, and they are now as "sold" as I am. Try it. You won't be sorry. And the very best of luck to you!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 12:10 AM

I have flown to Sydney twice using frequent flyer miles and once on a paid ticket. I think Asutralia is an excellent choice and has decent accommodations to suit almost any budget.

My only caveat is that January is a difficult time to use FF tickets--there are very few seats available. The two times I used my FF miles, I wanted to go in January, but couldn't get a seat, so ended up going in February instead.

Whichever month you choose, I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:31 AM

Alan's got a terrific idea. I would love to visit Viet Nam - it sounds like a fascinating country and any of my friends who have been there have loved it. It might also be easier to use your points to go there. Let us know what you decide.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 11:52 AM

With your interests - camping, or a campervan, north out of Sydney sounds ideal. You can head towards Byron Bay - or wander through to Brisbane and get a cheap flight to Cairns, and then back to Sydney. The north coast of this state is just beautiful (south is pretty good, too!). Low cost (after car rental) laid back, sun, sand, surf, sea...all my favourite things. If seriiously impecunious - you could get a bus pass (e.g. Greyhound) and go from spot to spot, carrying your camping gear. There's quite a broad backpacking network, too - and that may suit.

I'm not too sure about the availablility of frequent flyer miles, though - unless you're extremely flexible. It's been a bone of contention here for years!
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Thanks so much for the great responses. To be honest I've never imagined that I would consider Vietnam a vacation destination. However you've got me currious on the possibility. Where would you recommend staying, visiting etc. Is there more preferable times of the year to travel there. What are the places to avoid, what about the language barrier. Are there any web sites that you would advise for more info? Once again thanks for all the help!!!!
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 03:27 PM

Hi Storman - look under threads for Vietnam in the Asian section of this forum. It's a great place, have been there once but not for long enough, so am going back in April.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM

You might also want to look at Lonely Planet's Thorntree. I'm not crazy about their Australian branch (this one is much better in my opinion), but I like their Mexico branch. Check it out for Viet Nam.
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM

Hi, again, storman_469!

I am by no means an expert on Vietnam weather (having only been there once, around October/November, which was very pleasant), but I would imagine that right now, when they are having their cooler season, would be better than later on, as the weather becomes unpleasantly tropical. There is a flood season every year... I think that may be about April or May. Maybe other posters can help there.

Hanoi, I felt, was a "nicer" place than Ho Chi Minh; it's smaller and more manageable, and it hasn't changed quite as drastically in the last half-century as has Ho Chi Minh. Still a lot of French buildings and boulevards, and an Opera House to almost-rival the one it models, the Paris Opera. The lake in the centre of town is a great place to watch girls go by. The second-most-famous hotel in South-East Asia (after Raffles) is in Hanoi: the Metropole, and although it's expensive, you can ask about a budget room and maybe score a bargain (they wrote back to us and said, in effect, "okay, since you really want to stay with us, you can have a room for half price". That was our big splurge -- one night only. After that we never at any time in any city paid more than twelve American dollars for a room for the night.

Could rave on all day, but somebody will start objecting that I am on the wrong forum. There's lots of information on the Asian forum, and it's more up-to-date than mine, so Maybe I should leave you to peruse that. If I can tell you anything more, email me on [email protected].

I'm glad you're considering Vietnam; if you go with a purpose in mind -- to make somebody's life measurably better before you leave -- you will have a life-changing and massively-enriching experience, and that's something you can't say about every other holiday destination (though it's probably equally-true of Laos and Cambodia)!

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:08 AM

I've done a lot of travelling in the past few years (initially in the "newly single", then "not so newly single" categories). I've discovered that I like a little structure to my trips, and that I like to learn something. So I've done language courses, walking/culture tours, and, most recently, completed my scuba diving certification in New Zealand. On the horizon - an RTW "cooking experience". However, I don't like regular sightseeing tours, or overly planned itineraries. I'll sign up for something organized for a week or so, and then take off on my own.

If you're thinking about Australasia, I can recommend New Zealand (just returned from 6 weeks there). And yes, the diving was cold, but the underwater sights were amazing. You could use the "backpacker" buses to get around NZ - Magic Bus is reputed to be the bus for everyone other than "chugging/vomiting 18 year olds". The backpacker buses don't tie you to the same group every day on a rigid schedule. They're almost like "hop-on hop-off" city sightseeing tour buses, except that they take you from town to town, usually with a few sightseeing opportunities thrown in, and they're a great way to meet people. I think Australia has the same concept.

For activity-based trips, check out Exodus.co.uk. I travelled with them in Spain, and they've got great itineraries for all over the world.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

Good god Alan....Vietnam!!...ethereal vn women floating by....you have been reading too many Grahame Greene novels..or maybe have seen that "quiet american " video once too often.

Alan "the Michael Caine of the mountains".

I reckon he should take a small group walk on the overland track..(a suddenly single mate of mine did it a few years back) and had a great time.

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 04:07 PM

Vietnam has really altered (and not for the better. Had 2 trips in 2003 and frankly was disappointed with attitudes of many Vietnamese. They are rude, not tolerant of visitors, the traffic is chaotic-the place is just not coping with the influx of tourists since 2000. Many hotel staff do not understand basic English in budget places.It is a cheap destination for accom and food but Laos and Cambodia have the magic that Vietnam once had. Laos is fabulous-relaxed and the people love visitors and the dollars they bring. Just my humble opinion. And storman, you must experience Oz-it a great country with warm friendly people and heaps of budget places to stay. Join youth hostels Aust (YHA) for cheap accom or check out wotif.com.au and last minute.com for accom discounts. The coast is great but so are the blue mountains and I agree New Zealand should not be missed. It is 36 degrees here in the mountains of NSW and I would suggest waiting until March or April to see Oz. best of luck.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM

Last I heard, the official language of Vietnam was Vietnamese. Maybe in 50 years' time we'll have a Chinese tourist complaining that the desk clerk in an Albuquerque Motel 6 couldn't speak basic Mandarin, and the sang choy bow at the local McDonald's wasn't up to scratch.

storman_469, whatever you decide, I suggest a good guidebook backed up by info on the Web - time spent in research is seldom wasted. As for Vietnam, I was there 2 years before Lyndie and all I can say is that the place must have changed an awful lot in a very short time.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Hi Neil-not sure if you know much about hospitality- I suspect that when the majority of tourists speak only English and are visiting and paying in USD then it is wise to have someone who speaks at least basic English. Yes Vietnam has changed-go and see for yourself!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM

I have to agree with Neil. These tourists who all speak English and pay in US dollars have a host of countries to choose from where English is the native language, and quite a large and divers one where USD is the native currency. If you go to Vietnam, you may just run into some people who prefer to speak Vietnamese and deal in the dong. This may not make your vacation any easier, but surely it is not cause for a complaint! I recall the first time I heard this "and they don't even speak English!" complaint was in Seville, where two US-accent women checking into a pensione wer having trouble with the owner. I heard it again a few weeks later -- same accent -- in a tiny restaurant in Italy, where the tourist was demanding a hamburger WITH KETCHUP from the owner who was indicating a chalked board in Italian.

Of course we'd all be grateful if everyone we met spoke our language -- for myself, I only have one language, and I consider that this is something of a black mark for the education I received. I do not consdier it a reason to be outraged by a country I have come to visit who happen not to share my language. To be perfectly honest, Lyndie, sometimes challenging yourself to communicate in someone else's langauge can add to the exhilaration of your holiday. Try it sometime.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Of course it makes commercial sense to cater for English-speaking tourists if you can, but there are certain practical considerations. Vietnam is still a poor country, and English lessons cost money. Actually I was impressed with the number of people I encountered who had some English, more than I expected.

Vietnamese is a tricky language, but you can learn to count, say "thanks" and even order a coffee or beer ("bia", no challenge) in Vietnamese without too much effort.

Alan, anyone who opts to eat hamburgers in Italy is clearly beyond help. The mind boggles.

I guess this discussion has reached the point where it would be better located on the "Asia" site, if anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -