FOODIES AND DRINKERS GUIDE TO THE MARGARET RIVER

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOODIES AND DRINKERS GUIDE TO THE MARGARET RIVER

Challenge the senses in the Margaret River

Story by Lyly Lim

W.C Fields, he of the fabulous wit and gourmand leanings once said of wine: "I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."

What to do then when faced with the opportunity to traverse both in a diverse food and wine trail that takes you from the simple and rustic to the sublime? It doesn't take a genius (or even a wit) to work out that you don't think about it. You just do.

The Margaret River, situated on the coast of Western Australia, beckons anyone who has any foodie leanings. Several years back the region was the "it" wine region of Australia and restaurants and dinner tables everywhere groaned under the weight of Margaret River wines. While fads have come and gone, the wine produced in the region continues to go from strength to strength.

The climate of the Margaret River is one reason why the region is so great for grape-growing and winemaking. The ocean strongly defines the climate in Margaret River. It has a mean annual range of only 7.6C, giving it a Mediterranean-like climate. Only 200mm of the annual 1160mm of rain falls between October and April, which means hopefully a dry ripening and harvesting season. Lush but balanced Margaret River reds and classic whites are the result. A temperate climate is also evident for visitors to the region — perfect for exploring the food and wine riches.

Wineries old and new now dot the landscape and throughout the years a few quirkier wine tour options have arisen. The Margaret River Vintage Golf and Wine Tours allows keen players to enjoy golf on a mix of city and country courses as well as tour around the Margaret River and the surrounding wine regions. Wine for Dudes takes the blokier approach to wine discovery, promising wine tours with a difference — "we leave behind all that over the top, old-fashioned wine talk" — but also allow novices an opportunity to blend their own wines.

For those who prefer to do everything (even breathing) in style, the Cape Classic Touring Company has the classiest wine touring option for you — chauffeur driven tours of the region in your selection of a Rolls Royce, Daimler or Jaguar.

Combing food and wine in the Margaret River is an absolute must. The landscape in the Margaret River changes markedly kilometre to kilometre, and so too does the variety of local produce to experience.

A visit to Cowaramup Creek Farm's stylish tasting room yields the delights of Estate Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil. The Berry Farm, owned and operated by the Lindsay family offers a delightful variety of fruit to be picked in season as well as delicious wines, herb vinegars, preserves and other tasty produce.

For that foodie staple, fine cheese, a visit to The Margaret River Cheese Company, a boutique cheese and yoghurt manufacturer, is an absolute must. Both factories are run in the heart of the wine and dairy country, between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin. For the non-calorie conscious (or those who simply no longer care) free tastings of the multi-award winning products give you the opportunity to sample WA's only locally produced brie and camembert. The cheesemakers also put on a show, applying their age old skills to the creation of cheeses expressive of the region.

Sweet tooths will find satisfaction at Candy Cow, one of the regions finest makers of butter and cream fudge, adult fudges, fudge sauces and 'Real Honey Honeycomb' using Western Australian and local honeys from the Margaret River. Free confectionery demonstrations may be viewed through large glass windows, and the interested can hear talks given on the confectionery being manufactured.

The odes to sweet things continue with Willy Wonka's chocolate factory reincarnated as The Margaret River Chocolate Company offering a tantalising insight into the world of chocolate, complete with free tastings and a viewing window. The factory lets visitors sample and purchase a range of mouth-watering chocolate products, including hand-made truffles, bars, sauces, cakes and anything else it is possible to coat in chocolate.

Diverging from the standard path will take visitors to Western Australia's first ever aquaculture enterprise, established in 1976. The Margaret River Marron Farm remains the largest commercial Marron Farm in the state. The site was selected because of the moderate climate and its abundant pollution free water supply flowing from the adjacent state forests. Tour the property and discover all of the mysteries of the marron. An exhibits room, filled with live specimens of Marron and other crayfish can also be viewed.

Appropriately, the commingling of good food and wine calls for some raucous celebrations, so time your visit to the Margaret River for its end of vintage celebrations. Held in early May, The Stomp was created in 2005 when it became apparent that Margaret River had no such communal celebration of its grape harvest. It has become one of the biggest events on the Margaret River Wine region calendar.

The Vintage Stomp has many highlights including the waiter's race and wine barrel race. The Celebrity Vintage Stomp and wine spitting, which results in participants drenched in foot pressed red wine and covered in grape fragments, raises money for the winners charity of choice. The winery versus vineyard workers Tug-of-War is always hotly contested while regional wine and gourmet food producers provide tastings to visitors. In 2006, organisers added a South American theme to the celebrations, including Samba and Salsa dancers, Tango and Capoeira.

Wits and gourmands and those who aspire to be one or both will discover a true test of their skills and endurance as the food and wine trail in the Margaret River is ever changing, and always scintillating. A true challenge for the senses, just remember to have a good balance of wine and food.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM
cwn

Thanks for the post. I have added it to my file. We plan to spend time in the Margerat River Valley in early 2009. My husband has always want to do the India Pacfic train trip, so we will arrive in Perth on the train after a week in Adelaide. We will rent a car both places and take off. We plan to "taste" our way across your great country!
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Those Margaret River Reds are really something. Enjoy your trip and I hope you get to taste some of that marron as well - needs a white with it though!
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM
cwn

Sounds wonderful.

Do you know anything about Cape Lodge. Their website looked great, but is it located so we could use it as a base for day trips. We would like to stay at one of maybe two places and explore from there. Packing up every night is so tiring.

Thanks
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I cannot give you any uptodate info on the Lodge because my treks around Western Australia was when I lived there with three youngish children and we camped everywhere we went. I am sure though that most places there would be of high standard but I am sure too that someone will help you out with their own experience.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

PS: Marron is called different things in different States of Australia - some places call it Champagne Lobster and other places call it fresh water Lobster and I am sure it has other names as well. If in Queensland then the Morton Bay Bug is the seafood with the most delicate flavour.