Food Options in South Island NZ

Dec 17th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Food Options in South Island NZ

Hello Friends,

We should be on our way to South Island in couple days. Wanted to know if you have any favorite restaurants in South Island area. Please see below the places we will hit during our stay. We just turned vegetarian, and would like to maintain that in NZ. We love Indian food, so please recommend spicy food places or any places with breathtaking view...
1) Christchurch
2) Greymouth
3) Fox Glacier
4) Wanaka
5) Queenstown
6) Te Anau
7) Milford Sound
8)Te Anau to Dunedin
9) Dunedin
10)Twizel
11) Mt Cook

Thank you so much. I cannot wait to be NZ, feasting on majestic views.
Any feedback will be helpful.
Dec 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM

For vegetarian Dux de Lux in both Christchurch and Queenstown

Also in Queenstown Organic Express (Camp and Earl) serves a great veggie plate. Closes early.,

In Dunedin I liked The Good Oil Cafe, at 314 George Street, tiny cafe that you can carry out (or eat in if there's room).

Generally I think you'll be able to make do with things like pizza, pumpkin ravioli is popular as is pumpkin soup.
Always a good idea to carry a bit of cheese and bread especially for places like Twizel, Milford Sound, Fox. In Mt Cook try the Old Mountaineers Cafe, can't vouch for the menu but should find something better than at Heritage.

Spicy in NZ isn't really spicy. You might want to bring a bottle or two of Tabasco.
Dec 17th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb for suggestions. We will carry some cheese and bread. We will hit a grocery store before we head out for our road trip.

I have heard there are some great Indian restaurants, any recommendations?

Thanks!
Dec 17th, 2010, 01:58 PM

We love Indian food too. Our favorites are Little India (Nelson, three locations in Christchurch, Dunedin).

They used to have a location in Queentown, but it has been sold and the name has changed to Tandoori Palace. I've not tried it since the hand over, but I've heard it was bought by members of the same family, so that's promising as far as I'm concerned. Tandoori Palace also has three locations in Christchurch.

Mantra is also owned by the same family, and it has locations in Arrowtown and Christchurch. Fabulous food.

Bombay Palace has three locations that I know of, Wanaka, Invercargill and Queentown. It's pretty good, but not as good as Little India and Mantra IMO.

There's a Freiya's in Queentown, but we don't care for it at all.

Ashraf's in Wanaka is another possibility. It's been awhile since we've eaten there though.

Indian Summer in Te Anau is pretty good too.

Hope this helps.
Dec 17th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Note about Ashraf's above...we loved it the first time, not so much the second, so not sure how it is these days.

I forgot to mention that it's very easy to find vegetarian food in NZ. Even pubs and bistros usually have a vegetarian option. You'll find curries of the day at many cafes too.

We also like La Toscana in Te Anau (Italian), and Amigo Cafe in Wanaka (Mexican.)

Wineries are good options for lunch, easy to find vegetarian food there.

The Blue Ice (Franz Josef) and The Saddle (Fox Glacier) are possibilities, but I seem to recall having trouble finding vegetarian options at the Saddle (I think I ended up with a toasted cheese).

Enjoy NZ, it's a beautiful country!