Fodor New Zealand Guide Out of Date

Mar 2nd, 2018, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Fodor New Zealand Guide Out of Date

I purchased a 2017 copy of the NZ travel guide. Every time I relied on it for specific information it was wrong, and in conflict with simple Google searches.

Example: it lists "i" on Queen Street, Auckland, when it moved to Pier 4 years ago,
Example: It says Queenstown has no public bus routes: it does.

It appears that "updates" to the guide consist of changing the publication date.
Mar 2nd, 2018, 08:06 PM

No guide book is 'current'. Simply impossible with the lead time required for /writing/printing/publication/distribution. They are out of date the minute they are in the shops . . . Not just Fodors but every print guidebook.

They are still useful for general information re sites, logistics, cultural 'rules', maps, etc. I would never rely on a guide book for restaurants, hotels, exchange rates, or other things that change frequently.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 04:56 AM

New Zealand is one of the few countries in the world which really has its tourist information sorted out. I rarely use a guide book as there is so much information online.

In country the iSites are everywhere and provide a wealth of local info. Most have websites too e.g. Queenstown Information - Queenstown i-SITE Visitor Centre

https://www.newzealand.com/uk/ provides some excellent info, a great online planning tool and will send a high quality map of the country’s tourist drive routes anywhere in the world

Department of Conservation provides a wealth of information on walks of all levels, NZs, natural attractions and parks. As well as there campsites if going that route.

https://www.aa.co.nz/travel/time-and...ce-calculator/ is great for planning your timings for travel around the country as well as loads of other useful stuff.
Mar 3rd, 2018, 05:37 AM

Have you considered submitting the corrections directly to the guide book publisher? I did that once with an error I found in a Lonely Planet guide and they gave me a credit in the book!
Mar 4th, 2018, 09:19 PM

I applied when Fodor's was advertising online for writers in New Zealand but they rejected me. I wondered if they have people sitting in offices in New York just rehashing the previous version without checking too many details.
Best to ask here about anything and just use the book in a general sense. The 'weather events' we have had over this summer change things like road access or restaurants out of action very quickly.
For current road info check out:

Traffic and travel information NZ Transport Agency

Search this Thread