Australia in 10 days.

Feb 12th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Australia in 10 days.

We are leaving on February 23 till March15.
Sydney- February 25-March 1.
Tasmania Cruise with P&O Australia 7 days- March 2-9, from Melbourne (Kangaroo Island; Hobart, Brunie Tasmania; Port Arthur)
Mornington March 9-12
Melbourne March 12-15
All hotels are reserved.
Questions:
1.What to see while visiting Kangaroo Island, Brunie, Port Arthur island.
2. We are not planning to rent a car in Melbourne. Best transportation from Melbourne to Mornington.
How good is idea - one day trip from Mornington to Phillip Island, to see Phillip Island Wildlife Park.
3. Recommendations what to see around Mornington, beside beaches.
4. We want to see opera in Sydney. What is better -to buy tickets online or while in Sydney 5 days -directly from ticket booth.
Thank you
Feb 13th, 2018, 02:25 AM

If you want to see an opera, there’s no advantage in waiting until you arrive - book online to ensure have the best chance of seeing what you want, with the best available seats.

Sydney Opera is well subscribed & it is not unusual for performances to sell out.
Feb 15th, 2018, 12:49 AM

Melbourne to Mornington - local train from city to Frankston then bus to mornington . If you are coming from the airport you can get the skybus direct to Mornington - https://www.skybus.com.au >fapas .
you can get a ferry from Stony Point to Cowes - a nice day trip . The wildlife park is 2 kms from Cowes . It's 23 kms from Mornington to Stony Point - taxi or a bus which seems to go back to Frankston - doubling the trip .
Mornington is a Melbourne suburb now - not sure why you are going there . Without a car it will be difficult to go to any of the features around the area eg wineries with , lovely restaurants .
Feb 15th, 2018, 04:21 AM

I like Mornington as a suburb. I go through there with some regularity and wouldn't mind living there. But it doesn't seem like a place one would go and spend time as a tourist. Maybe if you're visiting family? It's at the head of and the namesake of the Mornington Peninsula, but as Northie said, it's not really the best place to see the peninsula from. Especially without a vehicle.
Feb 17th, 2018, 06:38 PM

The Mornington Peninsula is a destination on it's own. Mornington is a town at the start of the peninsula and although very pretty not worth a day trip. Philip Island is a 2 hour drive from there. You really do need a car and a few days to explore the Peninsula on its own,there are wineries, breweries, stunning coastal and bush walks, horse riding, water sports, mazes and adventure gardens.
If you only have one day then I suggest you choose one, mind neither are viable without a car.
We have lived on the peninsula all our lives and run and B&B here so know how disapointed people are when they come for just a quick overnight stay and realised how much they are missing out on.
If you have any specific questions about the peninsula please feel free to ask me.
Feb 18th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Bought tickets to see opera Carmen in Sydney opera hous.
Thanks for advise. Only $8 was fee charge for online purchase.
Planning to take opera house tour as well.
Feb 18th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

We will stay in Mornington 3 nights-3 days. Reason to go there- beaches. My husband will not go vacation without at least 3 beach days. We were thinking to explore area around as well. Phillip island on the map not so far, this is why I asked how to go there.
Thou Mornington in our itinerary will be after we visit Kangoroo Island and Hobart, Tasmania. Please your opinion, where we can go/ what to see for 3-4 hours trip, while we are in Mornington.
Thank you for all your replays.
Next Monday we will be already in Sydney. Very, Very excited.
Feb 18th, 2018, 10:06 PM

You may have to do quite a bit of bus changing to get there but for beaches on the peninsula, its hard to beat Sorrento. Within a short distance of each other, you get the quiet peaceful bay side beaches which are great for wading and shell collecting or the "back side" beaches, with crashing waves, rock pools and some dramatic rock formations. We've spotted seals and whales here. Sorrento is a historic little town with a number of dining choices and a ferry that can get you back and forth to the Queenscliff side. Past Sorrento is Point Nepean, where there are abandoned fortifications embedded in the hills overlooking the bay entrance. It's a national park and we've often seen echidnas here.
Feb 24th, 2018, 02:03 AM

Yes, it's a good experience when I did first time visiting Kangaroo Island.
Mar 5th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Govacgo View Post
We will stay in Mornington 3 nights-3 days. Reason to go there- beaches. My husband will not go vacation without at least 3 beach days. We were thinking to explore area around as well. Phillip island on the map not so far, this is why I asked how to go there.
Thou Mornington in our itinerary will be after we visit Kangoroo Island and Hobart, Tasmania. Please your opinion, where we can go/ what to see for 3-4 hours trip, while we are in Mornington.
Thank you for all your replays.
Next Monday we will be already in Sydney. Very, Very excited.
You should take a stroll under the sun at the manly market. wearing your flip flops cause you're gonna find yourself at the beach as you go. It's beautiful there.