Reload this Page >

Flight Prices from LA to Australia..HELP ...Save $$$

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Deb

Hi, I could really use your advise on flights to Australia. I can't seem to find anything out of California for a price we can afford. What am I doing wrong?? Even a travel agent in LA quoted us around $1500. Is it because of the time of year, (mid April?) Thanks again all.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Bruce

Deb,<BR> Be patient. The fares will drop in february or march. they should go down to about 875 up to one thousand round trip to sydney. Just be patient. We are going the end of may and that is what I am doing. Bruce

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM
Kevin

Hi Deb-I agree. A little patience and watch on the net. Keep trying the airlines for specials. At that time you should find $830-900 as a special rate. I know-we're going over in late Dec and the rates jumped from $830 to $1500 with no deals. Holiday, high season etc. Good luck and have a great time!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 09:35 AM
curt

Deb check this link. Qantas is running special deal that is 1799 from LA during your dates, includes air, 12 nights hotel, and all intra-aussie flights as well. Not a bad deal if air fare alone is being quited at 1500.<BR><BR>http://www.australia.com/deals/qanta...?L=en&amp;C=US

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Deb

Thank you all for your ideas. I'm a bit nervous about waiting, though. Also, I need Air New Zealand, as we have a voucher with their airline. I have looked into Wotif.com. What great hotel deals, if you wait, that is. I'm going to call right before we leave and take advantage of their &quot;last minute&quot; prices (which are around half price) ! Thanks again, Deb

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 03:14 PM
LN

You might check AnzacTravel.com. I think they're still on that website. Last year we got our tickets for $999 including 5 nights in Sydney.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
jt

What I do is register for email notification of airfare sales to Oz. On Travelocity you can register for 5 iteneraries; maybe try LAX-SYD, Melbourne, Auckland, and maybe SFO. Expedia also does this but I find them near worthless (anyone have luck there or anywhere else?).<BR><BR>DO NOT take the results literally; rather use it to sniff the scent of a sale and the beginning of a larger research effort (deal breaking restrictions can often be overcome, etc). However, some street smarts are needed. A price cut may have to be snapped up in a day or so before seats are gone... or may be just a &quot;sucker&quot; sale before the really deep sale coming soon after.<BR><BR>I can't use LAX which seems to have an annual pattern of sales. My location only has irregular sales about every other year (from an insane normal price to an incredible low price). Dear Qantas, etc... please remember your non California, non-mainland North America gateways have customers who will jump on any break from ridiculous prices if you just include us on the occasional sale...

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:02 PM
jt

P.S. best to explicitly search using LAX or SFO as gateway. You may be able to add on the connection to a San Diego, Phoenix, or whatever for little or free, but it seems to befuddle the search engines if you initially specify that. May save a ton by ticketing the connection seperately (or v.v.). In an odd case you may even find Vancouver BC gateway would save money and offer an interesting stopover.

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:48 PM
Deb

Boy, I love this talk forum. I'm learning sooooo much. I'm off to Travelosity to enter our itinerary and also Anzac Travel. Thanks again.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Cajuncru

Here's one I found today:<BR><BR>http://www.qantasusa.com/webDeal.php?ID=18<BR><BR>If for some reason the link doesn't work, it's posted on the Qantas website.<BR><BR>Good Luck!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:47 AM
LN

Can't help with Australia but sure can with New Zealand.<BR><BR>Just got this .....<BR><BR>Special Offer from TraveLeaders: Top 20 deal - sells out quickly! <BR>$655 -- New Zealand from L.A. * <BR>Los Angeles to New Zealand - Travel dates: Travel through March 30, 2003<BR>Visit New Zealand for the incredibly low price of $655 (plus tax). For a limited time, this price is being offered from LAX roundtrip departing Dec. 1 through Dec. 15. Departures after Jan 1, add $55. Hurry, space is limited! <BR><BR>Add 7 nights hotel in New Zealand and 1 night in Tahiti additional from $354 per person! <BR><BR>Price good for departures through Dec. 15 (holiday black out 12/16-12/31). Valid for travel through March 30, 2003. <BR>Air departure taxes additional. Other services available---hotels, cars, tours, etc... <BR><BR>Please call 888-656-2822, 305-668-8789, or 305-445-2555 for more information. <BR><BR>TraveLeaders <BR>1701 Ponce De Leon Blvd.<BR>Coral Gables, FL 33134<BR>phone: 888-656-2822 or 305-668-8789, or 305-445-2555<BR>fax: 305-663-6021<BR>e-mail: [email protected]<BR><a href="http:/...eaders.com</a> <BR><BR><BR>* Terms/Conditions:<BR><BR> <BR>