Search

first timer in Tahiti

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first timer in Tahiti

What are some ideas on what area in Tahiti to stay. I like to visit another island also?
Will be there for 8 days.
Thanks
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:37 AM
ALF

...Maiatea, Faaone, or Mahaena. The western side of Tahiti is not that attractive, as it tends to be over-developed.

If it were me, I would spend very little time on Tahiti, and instead take the short ferry (1 hr or less) to Moorea, which is much quieter, less developed, more beautiful, and less touristy. In the northwest corner of Moorea there are several nice resorts and hotels that range from mid-price to high-end. You could easily spend a week lounging on beaches, snorkeling, diving, hiking, exploring ruins, boating, and sight-seeing.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Alf -
I read the Sheraton and some other hotels are in the airport area, and, have great views. Does this sound like any of the areas you are talking about?
Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Yes, that is the area of Tahiti that ALF is talking about. The views ARE gorgeous as they are across the Sea of the Moon towards Moorea.

By the way, ALF is correct (as usual) regarding Moorea vs Tahiti (at least the western side - where the development is). Spend as much time as possible on Moorea. It's only a short ferry ride away, but is much, much, much nicer and with far superior beaches. Most visitors really only pass through Tahiti on their way to the other, much lovelier islands. Of these Moorea is perhaps the nicest. Moorea is sometimes noted as the single most beautiful island in the entire South Pacific - and if not ranked as number one, it's pretty sure to come in at number two. Simply incredibly beautiful, with beaches & lagoons to die for. Tahiti itself (at least the developed portions) do not even begin to compare.
Trust us on this. Book a hotel/resort on Moorea rather than Tahiti.

Ken
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:14 PM
ALF

The Sheraton near Fa'aa Airport does indeed have nice views, but it (and other nearby hotels) are on the west side of Tahiti, which is much too hustle-bustle for me when I want to take a vacation. The area south of Fa'aa is an OK place to spend a night or two, but I sure wouldn't spend a week there, particularly when the eastern coast and Tahiti-iti are so much nicer, not to mention Moorea, which is nicer still.
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good information.
From Moorea to Bora Bora, how long is the trip?

Are there any areas that lots of people go out at night in either Moorea or Bora Bora?

Old May 29th, 2005, 05:59 PM

I can't quite recall the exact length of the ferry ride from Tahiti to Moorea, but it pretty short (about an hour give or take a little). Here's the ferry schedule:

http://tahiti1.com/en/ferries.htm

Plane ride from Tahiti to Moorea is about 15 minutes

Nightlife on Bora Bora and/or Moorea is pretty much non-existant. ALF may know where there is a bit, but the fact is, these are NOT party locations (FAR from it). After dark they pretty much "roll up the sidewalks". Papeete (the main city on Tahiti - where the ferry to Moorea leaves from) apparently does have some nightlife, but other than the rotating (between resorts) polynesian dance shows, Bora Bora and Moorea will have almost nothing. One of the few downsides of a trip to the South Pacific.

Ken
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:03 PM
ALF

I am no expert on nightlife, but as far as I know, it is true that there isn't much beyond Polynesian dance shows (which are worthwhile).