Bora Bora, Moorea & Huahine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your help with my previous questions. We are leaning towards going to FP on this trip and saving the Cooks for a stopover when traveling to Austraila/NZ. : )

So... we have added another island into the mix - Huahine. Through a friend we have found a beach bungalow for really cheap and are thinking we'll spend at least 5 nights there. We have from April 28-May 12 to do this.

How does this sound?

Fly into Papeete. Most people are saying it should just be a stopover/forced night...but I'm thinking a few days here may be nice so we can decompress/transition/CHILL and not rush on to another island. Looking at the Beachcomber Intercontinental. I'm anticipating that I'll need a day to just chill... and then the next day we could explore the markets or take the ferry over to Moorea.

Then fly to Bora Bora on Day 3? Since we found such inexpensive accomodations for Huahine we may splurge on a nice hotel in Bora Bora (I realize they are all a splurge!) What would be your first and maybe second picks? What location on the island seems to be prime for water colors, sunrise/sunset etc. Looking at the Meridian, Pearl Beach, Intercontinental Spa, and Bora Bora Nui. I think we'll be here 4 nights...and try to swing an OWB. We plan on playing in the water a lot, hopefully exploring some of the motus by kayak or boat, snorkeling (it's okay if it's not right off the hotel). I'd like to be able to swim off the OWB, so it much be deep enough to do that.

Then off to Huanhine... is this a reasonable sounding itinerary? I know our Huahine accomodations will be rather basic... so perhaps we should go there first and then save Bora Bora for last?

Thanks again in advance for all of your help! The vibe here is so nice and I don't feel as vulnerable every time I post (as i have felt on other boards)

You all rock!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
TahitiTams

Hi acaigirl..
Love your plans but I would spend as little time on the island of Tahiti as possible..I say this from experience and you can do the wonderful marche and still catch the Armenti ferry to Moorea..Papeete is shockingly disgusting..IMO
I love that you have added Huahine..you are going to have a wonderful time and the FP people are lovely.. I was married at the Chapel at the Sofitel in Moorea and it is one of the prettiest beaches to snorkel at..Air Tahiti Nui has some really good package deals right now..
airtahitinui.com

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I agree. Papeete is gross. Get to Moorea or the other islands as quickly as possibly and unwind there.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Prior to this trip I will be doing a lot of work/travel...and wanted to be able to kick back asap. The thought of only sleeping a few hours and then getting back up again for another flight or ferry seemed daunting at first. But on second thought I think it will be okay...

We'll do this:
Arrive Papeete - hubby and I will be reuniting here after 2 1/2 months apart! I'm sure it will be quite exciting and romantic to meet up in paradise. : ) Stay 1 night...
Take the ferry the next day to Moorea and stay 4 nights. I will look into the Sofitel there, thanks for the snorkeling info TahitiTams!
Then off to Huahine for 5 nights....stay in private beach bungalow.
Then Bora Bora for 4 nights, possibly splurge on an OWB. Is it worth it? Can't say for sure, but it's a dream of mine and you only live once. If it feels right when we are booking we'll go for it!

Thanks again! Things are starting to fall into place and I am excited. Haven't decided whether we are going to DIY or work with an agent. I guess that is the next step. : )

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 08:57 PM

I have been to FP three times. Although I have passed thru Huahine several times, it never have that drop gorgeous scenary of Bora Bora.

Papeete is something you can spend minimum time, although, the first time, I did an around the island trip and quite enjoyed it. Once I have done that, I go straight to outer islands.

While I have gone to Bora Bora each time, it is getting sad to see the island overran by multiple huge cruise ships docked at the same time. I have stayed at Pearl Beach and Hotel Bora Bora. The southern side, the Matira point side, is the prettier side of the island.

My current preferred atoll is Rangiroa. There is one direct flight a day from Bora Bora and many flights a day from Papeete. It is not yet overran by large cruise ships or hotels. Having to water ration was an inconvenience.

Booking Air Tahiti inter-island flights on your own is kind of hassle; they don't have instant online booking nor are they included in flight search engines.