COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Fires near Sydney and NSW

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Cece

Fires near Sydney and NSW

We are schedule to be in Sydney next week for the start of our vacation. We were planning on driving South for two weeks. The news reports of the fires sound pretty bad. Can anyone give me a handle on the situation in Sydney itself and the coast highway down South to Melborne. Thanks.

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Rhonda

Hi Cece,

Yes the fires here are pretty bad. I suggest you check out our local newspaper for latest details, including a phone hotline for road closures.

www.smh.com.au

I'm sure you'll still be able to drive south but you may have to simply use another indirect road to skirt the closed areas.

Enjoy your trip. Rhonda

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 02:20 AM
Rhonda

Hi Cece, I just heard on the TV that the F6, the highway south to Woollongong, has just re-opened. Who knows what will happen with the fires over the weekend as they are predicting more hot & windy weather. I wouldn't do a Harbour Bridge Climb or go up Centre Point Tower for the view while in Sydney as it would be a waste. I'm sure if you check out our local news reports and ring 132 701, the RTA road closure line, before you head off, you should be fine. It may be worth considering driving to Canberra down the Hume Highway before heading across to the coast. You will still have a great holiday.

The threat of bushfire is something most Australians have grown up with. You will be having a truly Australian experience (I s'pose Californians know what it's like).

For interested others, Sydney is ringed by fire from the Blue Mountains to the west and round to the south coast. There are also fires outside Canberra and along the NSW north & central coasts. As pollution levels are at their highest since last bad fires in '94, asthmatics and others with breathing problems need to seriously consider staying inside.

Cece, you will still be able to have a wonderful holiday.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Dan

We in the United Sates are thinking of our Australian friends and praying that these fires end soon. Boy this has been a tough year.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Prue

Cece,
It will be essential to check with the RTA on 132 701 before you set off on your trip from Sydney, because there will be road closures, and also if conditions deteriorate again people are requested not to travel unless really necessary.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 01:48 AM
Mary

Have just arived today having driven from the Shoalhaven region (sth of Sydney) to Melbourne. While the fires are bad all roads were open - however the situation is changing hourly (we got stopped for nearly 4 hours on our way up) so you do need to check and be prepared to wait - take food and drink in the car. Once you get past Nowra you should be okay as it is between Sydney & Nowra that the problems seem to be.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 06:27 AM
Jenny

G'day Mate! Just want to say .......
Thank you Dan! from all us Aussies here Down Under!, your kind thoughts and Prayers are very comforting. It's very touching to know that others, who are so far away, are thinking of us.
I agree, 2001 sure has been a tough year for each and everyone of us around the world. Let us pray that this year, 2002! is a Happier and more Pleasant year for us all, one that we can all look back on with fond memories.
God Bless You and Your Family.
Thanks! ....
Jenny .. from Penrith, (Sydney, Australia.)

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 07:04 AM
Jenny

The Fires May Be Bad Here in Sydney!
But, God Has Sent His Best!
OUR HEROES!!

To all The Fire Fighters, Police and Volenteers out there fighting the fires here in Sydney. THANK YOU!!
GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!.

To Robert,
We All Miss You Dearly Mate!!
May this all end very soon, so as you and all those fighting fires along side of you can all return safely to your Families.
Take Care Mate!!