Search

Favorite Thai in Sydney?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Thai in Sydney?

Hi all,

I'll be staying somewhere in the city, don't know where yet, but was wondering if you could give your thoughts on your favorite Thai restaurants, stalls, whatever. If you'd like to offer advice on other places to eat, that would be great too. Would prefer lower to moderate priced. Thanks.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:20 PM

There are hundreds of Thai restaurants in Sydney but most are in the suburbs. The one I know in the city is Stir Crazy at 225 George Street ( in the Brooklyn Hotel )but I have not been there myself. You could maybe try Thai Pothong in Newtown at 294 King Street or Arun Thai at 28 Maclaey Street, Potts Point.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:27 PM

My own favourite is Thai Cathriya in Randwick at 119 Avoca Street ( 93891165 ) and it is made reasonably priced because you take your own wine. It may not be close enough for the city for your liking , though it is easy to reach by bus. Enjoy!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:12 AM

like has already been said - there are loads of Thai restaurants to choose from. And most in the 'burbs are BYO.

Personal faves - Tuk Tuk in Balmain tho haven't eaten there for a while and it may be resting on its laurels for all I know!

People rave about Sailors Thai on West Circular Quay - been once and thought it hightly overrated, though the attached Canteen could be a totally different proposition.

"Ble Elephant" in Crows Nest is great for Sri Lankan.

Newtown, Balmain, Rozelle all have brilliant "eat streets" for cheap and cheerful, or a little more expensive that that. Suggest a trawl on the web - so many sites devoted to eating!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM

I would not hesitate to offer Sailors Thai "Canteen" especially for lunch. The inside is rather spartan but they have 3 or four tables on the rear deck with a pretty good view.The menu is limited but rather good especially when you add in the view from the outside tables & a cold beer.

Enjoy..

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:33 AM

In the average price range, I'd support Thai Pothong - in Newtown.

For spectactular Thai - but a bit more expensive, Longrain, near Central Station. (Commonwealth Street, Surry Hills) Just brilliant. Different and special.

There are a million Thai places around, but most of them are pretty ordinary.

Yuk Tuk has been recommended to me - but I've not been there.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Woops - that should read Tuk Tuk!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Thai: City: RQ, Crown St., Darlinghurst,

Sailors Thai (Canteen upstairs is casual, communal dining on one long table) or restaurant downstairs (more extensive menu), George Street, The Rocks.

Northside: Banana Blossom, Military Road, Cremorne. The chef trained with David Thomson at Sailors Thai.

Prasits, Mount St. North Sydney.

Must Go: (Vietnamese) Red Lantern, Crown St., Surry Hills.

Newtown - King Street's flush with Thai restaurants and they're all cheap. Most BYO. We probably have more Thai than any other cuisine - every suburb has at least a couple!

I think you'll find the restaurant prices here a lot more moderate than the US. Not sure where you're from but I've been checking out some NYC prices and it seems that we're quite a bit cheaper. And with your $ on the rise you'll be laughing (I won't though, unless it changes a bit in the next month! LOL )

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM

Thai Pothong was Sydney's finest Thai restaurant when I worked there in the 90's!

In 2005, I'd agree Sailor's Thai & Prasit's (original chef at Thai Pothong) if he is still cooking at Prasit's. Everyone has their favourites but Sailor's never fails to deliver magic Thai food! Good luck!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM

Sorry I have to disagree with suggestion of Sailors Thai...way more expensive than most and in my experience overrated. Fashionable yes but not worth the money. Agree with the suggestion for Red Lantern for Vietnamese and of course Longrain for Thai but it is notoriously difficult to get into.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 09:13 PM

The Sydney Good Food Guide disagrees with you Peteralan.

How much did you expect to pay in one of the world's great cities finest Thai restaurant? "Not worth the money"? I agree to disagree! Have fun!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Ate at Arun's Thai on McCleay Strret in April it was quite good.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Yes Lyndie you are prbably right. I went a couple of times to the original Darley Street Thai and to the subsequent one in Kings Cross, both of which like Sailors Thai were owned by David Thompson who is currently wowing them in London. The food and atmosphere were great. Maybe I was just unlucky at Sailors Thai. We went for lunch one day and I was disappointed but I guess one should not judge on one visit. I did read recently that Thompson was coming back from London to have a look at Sailors as it is not doing so well. Cheers!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:19 PM

vinoman-we had dinner last night at Thai Pothong-partner had Massaman Curry & I had Prawns in Tamarind sauce, rice & corkage for 2-A$48. Moderate to expensive for subsurban Thai & not that good, either. The restaurant looks fabulous but the food is VERY ordinary and there are far better Thai restaurants in Sydney.

BTW, Longrain does not accept bookings, and if you're famished, a hour's wait seems hardly worthwhile. We planned to eat there but decided not to wait and to re-visit Thai Pothong for old time's sake!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:28 PM

We really like Thainesia on Oxford St. in Paddington- not very expensive and the staff is very accommodating- try the stuffed chicken wings- they're wonderful! And you'll fill up on just 1!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:39 PM

Hi Gregdane, Is Thainesia the one just near the Verona?
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Hi Bokhara ..yes it is ( on the corner of a little lane ).
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks Peteralan, we often go to the Verona (and, of course, Berkelows) so will give it a fly next opportunity.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 04:09 AM

My "favourite Thai in Sydney" is my sister-in-law. Sorry I can't help with restaurants...