Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Effect of marlin fishing competition on Lizard Island?

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -

We contacted an agency about booking 5 nights of our honeymoon on Lizard Island and they advised us that there will be a marlin fishing competition on Lizard Island at the time, and that as a result, the island would be pretty busy. This was a total surprise.

As I understand it, Lizard is a very small resort and I thought its allure was in part its private feel. Will the people actually stay at Lizard or will they day trip every day? I am wondering what the effect of this competition will be on our experience. Perhaps we should go to Bedarra instead or move our dates so we don't overlap as much w/ the competition - ? Any insight would be really appreciated. This is the segment of our honeymoon where we are throwing the budget to the wind, and if it's going to be less than amazing, I prefer not to go.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Lizard Island is a state national park which means its available to everyone. Its just its relative remoteness that stops it being a daytripper destination, such as is Green Island, just off Cairns. The resort is I believe, privately leased, the island does have a basic camping area and there's a small scientific research centre.

But if your agent is telling you it'll be busy with marlin fishing competition, I'd can't see any reason to disbelieve her. Its a huge sport which attracts very well-heeled competitors world wide, around September-December. In fact, popularised in this area very much by American actor, Lee Marvin.

Bedarra, as you probably know, is a continental island not far off-shore but doesn't encourage daytrippers who in that area go to Dunk. Its still a distance from the reef proper, whereas Lizard sits on its own mid-shelf reef with surrounding pristine coral garden lagoon, about 20kms from outer edge of Great Barrier Reef.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM

We spent 3 nights on Lizard island over Christmas. Christmas day in the blue lagoon with our gourmet picnic lunch, on our private beach...fantastic!
The marlin fisherman are not allowed on the resort property however, I heard there werre many boats in the little bay. Email them directly and ask!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:43 PM

20th Riviera Lizard Island Black Marlin Classic will be held between 14-21st October. As Lizard Island resort itself organises game fishing trips for its guests, would be very surprised if marlin fisherman are "not allowed on resort property". see www.lizardisland.com.au/fishing/
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 05:07 AM

The marlin fishermen who are staying on Lizard are treated the same as any other guests. The crew of the gameboat and the anglers who are not the guest of the resort will not be allow to wander around the resort only around the marlin bar where most of them hang out in the evening. The bar itself is at the end of the resort so it will not disturb the guests at all. Most of the anglers, I would say over 80% will be staying on either the mothership on the gamefishing boat and only perhaps 2 - 4 rooms at the resort itself will be used by them.