Arlie Beach/Whitsundays

Jun 25th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Arlie Beach/Whitsundays

I was wondering whether Arlie Beach and the Whitsundays are worth a visit. I do not sail. Is it worth a trip just to explore Whitehaven Beach and snorkle the GBR? What else is available there? Thank you.
Jun 25th, 2006, 08:06 PM

It all depends on your travel arrangements. If you are thinking of flying, and the Whitsunday area doesn't appeal to you, then don't do it. However, if you were driving, say from Brisbane to Cairns, then I would say that Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands would be a must.
Most tourists who visit Australia, seem to be on "limited holiday time", and most seem to do the following destinations.....Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns & GBR. Australia is such a large country, that just covering those 3 destinations, does not do this country justice. Its like going to England, driving around like a mad dog, trying to see as much as possible, then returning home, and telling their friends that they have done England, and thats it. I know because it did the same with England years ago, however, I soon woke up to myself, and now I return to the UK, only visiting "one particular area" eg. Peak District or Cotswolds, spending at least a week in that location. It really helps in understanding the people of that area, their culture, taking long walks in the countryside, in other words "stopping and smelling the roses".
As for Australia, I would suggest picking one of two locations & spending as much time as possible in each location, rather than 1 or 2 days.
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM

So true, troppo. Just a couple of days here and there doesn't give time to appreciate any area and gives almost no leeway with weather, which is of prime importance in island or reef trips. I see so many coming from the other side of the world who miss out on reef trips as they've only allocated one or two days in their Melbourne/Sydney/Uluru/Cairns trips of only a total of about 2 weeks, or even less. Last week, reef trips were cancelled entirely, both out of Cairns and Port Douglas, with winds of up to 50knots and at least 4 or 5 days after that, reef conditions were still uncomfortable.

EvilTuna, you don't say what time of year you're thinking for Whitsundays. Whilst no-one can predict weather it may be of use to know that winter is June-August, sometimes days are clear and sunny, often they're cold and windy, as they were down there last week. But
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:28 AM

Whitsundays are definitely worth a visit in good weather, although am not particularly fond of Hamilton Island.
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:29 AM

Eviltuna - when you say you do not sail - do you mean you can't handle a boat, or you don't like being on one? Sort of makes a difference as one of the best things to do on the East Coast is take a trip on a yacht in the Whitsundays. Someone else sails it; and someone else provides the tucker. All you have to do is enjoy. Fabulous - up there with the best things I have ever done in Australia.

Though, maybe, as Pat says, in depends on the time of year.

I wouldn't just go to visit Whitehaven. It is an alternative to FNQ if you have the time for the above-mentioned cruise, although you would miss the Daintree.
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I was considering a trip next May or September. When I said I did not sail I meant I do not personally control any boats although I have no problem being a passenger. What would the weather be like in May or September? Specifically I would like to know about the wind and potential rain.
Jun 26th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask if there would be any crowds in Cairns or Arlie Beach during September or would it be fairly dead. Thanks.
Jun 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM

Hi , we spent a wonderful three nights and days sailing out of Airlie Beach on the Solway Lass a re furbished tall ship. IMHO we had better snorkeling and diving in the Whitsundays because the water was calmer than our day out at the reef from Cairns. Crew and other guests on the boat were great fun

cheers
AndrewDavid
Jun 27th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Whitehaven Beach is nice, Airlie Beach is nice (though I would not call it a beach!) If you are in the younger age group you will love the social side.

Very pretty place.
Jun 28th, 2006, 12:12 AM

Very unlikely to be "dead" in September, probably quieter in May, which is also likely to be wetter in both areas. SE trade winds are usually abating by September, but no guarantees.
Jun 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM

tassietwister, must agree that Whitehaven beach was amazing! I did a short sail through the Whitsundays, loved every minute of it.
Jun 28th, 2006, 05:00 PM

EvilTuna, helpful hint only - you've probably spotted this already, but in case you want to do any web searching re the beach, it's "Airlie", not "Arlie". Pronounced air-lee, but an Australian would hardly sound the "r".