Driving in Perth

Old May 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in Perth

I will be down in Perth late this month with a party of 4 adults and two young children (4 and 6 years old). I have reserved a Toyota Camry for the trip, but I just found out that they have changed the seat-belt/child seat regulations there. Do I need a booster seat? My concern is that there's probably not enough space for my party if I get a booster seat. Would appreciate some advice on this. Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:11 PM

It would be best to ask the rental car company. But I don't see how they'll be enough space in a Camry for a party of six anyway - everyone will have to be properly secured one way or another, and there are only 5 seatbelts in a Camry (unless they've started making them with front bench seats, which would surprise me).
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

precisely the point. We are all pretty small size, so, 4 at the back is pretty comfortable. Not clear what are the regulations there if there's no space for a booster seat.
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:20 AM

arithon - OK, so without labouring the point, you're planning to have two of your backseat passengers share one seat belt. I don't know whether that's legal or not. If not, you may have to look at a 7-seat SUV or people mover, eg a Toyota Tarago or Honda Odyssey. I'm sure the rental car company would be happy to advise you.

Old May 6th, 2008, 06:06 AM

My assumption would be one person per seat and seatbelt. Trying to put 4 people across the back seat of a car is unsafe. You could face fines as well as the likelihood of insurance not covering you in the event of an accident. Most Australian sedans are built for 5 people maximum. You would need to hire something with more seats for your family. Don't risk your family for the sake of a few extra dollars.
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:00 AM

If the rental company know you intend to use a car configured for five passngers (five seat belts) for six passengers they will likely refuse you the rental..........

It is illegal to drive in Australia without every passenger using a seat belt. How could you even think of taking this risk, anyway?
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM

In Australia inc. Perth everyone must have a seatbelt. Just like everyone has said here, you will get fined if you have 4 in the back seat of the Camry. A 4 year old may need a booster seat, which most hire companies will provide (sometimes for a fee).

You will need to hire a larger car, or two small cars.