Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Does David Ambrust cover the same as the Daintree and Cape Tribulation trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Sonia

Hi<BR><BR>I'm looking at doing both of these tours, also the Kuranda skyrail and Atherton Tablelands. Does David Ambrust cover anything that's in any of the other tours, I'd hate to waste an already tight schedule.<BR><BR>So many recommendations for David on this board, I have to book him!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Mina

Hi Sonia:<BR><BR>David takes 4 people maximum. The morning portion takes you onto his own land (obviously in the rainforest). There you will meet "his" animals. You walk slowly around the property as he explains how the ecosystems work, and the characteristics of the different animals. I was totally in awe when a bird flew down and landed on him. <BR><BR>You have tea there, then head up for lunch in the rainforest. After lunch you head towards the dryer "outback" to get a sense of the difference in landscape.<BR><BR>It's a very educational day. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and the lunch that David prepared was my favorite meal in Australia for it's simplicity, tastiness, and ambience. You will enjoy his tour more if you appreciate animals and nature. Just don't expect high flying action.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Sonia

Thanks Mina!<BR><BR>It's your post that got me looking at this trip in the first place! Can't believe how many people have done it on your recommendation and had such a great time. I told my boyfriend all about it and he's as excited as me!<BR><BR>Thanks again<BR><BR>Sonia

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Adrienne

We just recently returned from Australia and did the tour with David. It was a definite highlight of the trip, mostly because it is so personal. We did not do the Cape Tribulation tour, instead we drove through it. I suggest you have a look through David's web site at www.anhs.com.au and feel free to email them with questions. Before doing this, David was a tour operator doing the Cape Tribulation trek and I'm sure he would be happy to answer your questions. He's very personable. I would also recommend the Skyrail. Have fun!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Mina

Sonia, I hope you have a great time. I also learned about his tour on this forum. If you do go, tell him the crazy Korean girl from California says hi. Who knows, he may remember me. There aren't too many insane Korean chicks running around his tour.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Bethany Lee

David's tour covers an area of the Daintree (his property) and he also travels into a bit of the Atherton Tablelands (quite a contrast). He does not cross the Daintree River so you will not get anywhere near Cape Tribulation. My husband and I also went on the night tour with Wait-a-While tours. Although it was a nice tour, it didn't come close to David's tour. Be prepared to take it slow and steady though. Believe it or not, there is a lot to see just standing in one spot!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Dawn

David will not repeat anything that you would see on the Tablelands and Kuranda tours. As others have mentioned, in the AM you are on his property and in the afternoon you are on Mt. Lewis and Mitchell Creek. You get no where near the Tablelands, that are is much farther south and west of where David takes you.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Joe

So would anyone recommend doing an additional tour (assuming you do David's tour) in the area? Daintree River? Cape Trib? Do you miss out on seeing Crocodiles on David's tour that you could get elsewhere? Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Gail

We went on David's tour last year and although it was good everyone in our family was disappointed. The posts we read had set our expectations so high the tour was a little disappointing. We enjoyed it but it certainly did not meet the standards that we read and was not worth the cost charged. I recognize everyone's tastes are different but just wanted to throw in my two cents worth.

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Booges

David's tour does not go to Mt Lewis as Dawn stated. Mt Lewis is in NSW near Sydney. I believe his tour takes you to Mt Molloy in the Great Dividing Range which is divide before the Atherton Plateau? In any event, it is a neat tour if you are ready for a slow pace and are interested in the ecological history of the area.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Dawn

Booges - <BR><BR>The following is a quote taken from David's website:<BR><BR>Lunch is held at the confluence of two rainforest streams in the secluded upland rainforest of the nearby world heritage listed Mount Lewis State Forest. <BR><BR>There appears to be more than one Mt. Lewis in the country of Australia.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Chris

We are in Port Douglas for 2 days. 1 day is booked with David's tour. What should we do on the second day? Thanks!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Debbie

Hello Chris!<BR>Go out to the reef!!! Whether you dive, snorkle or are a non-swimmer, it's a must do!<BR><BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Debbie

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Chris

Thanks Debbie! Ha I should have clarified, I apologize. We are spending 3 days snorkeling / scuba, 1 in Cairns doing Kuranda, skyrail etc., and 1 visiting Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. <BR><BR>We are trying to do 2 days of "land trips" from Port Douglas, and 1 is set to spend with David on his tour. I'm wondering what to do with the other. Does it make sense to find an additional tour to Daintree or is it too much overlap with David's tour? Anything else we're missing in the area (I'm sure a ton).<BR><BR>Thanks again to all for great advice!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Mina

Hi Chris!<BR><BR>You're doing a lot of touring, so I'll suggest this: why not take a day to relax on the beach? It's a nice one, and I myself am guilty of not taking advantage of it.<BR><BR>Or, if you're not "sit on the beach" type people, some guys I met said they rented scooters and went zipping around. They told me it was pretty fun. <BR><BR>You can go river rafting if you're up for some adventure. The Tully River is quite a drive, and it's an easier day from Cairns than P.D. There's another river closer to P.D., but the name escapes me....something like Barron (I know it starts with a B). Raging Thunder Adventures does tours. You can also do hot air ballooning if that floats your boat.<BR><BR>If you really want to see crocodiles and such, then you may want to take another tour. We didn't see any of that kind of stuff on David's tour.<BR><BR>Let us know if anything sounds interesting!

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 09:50 AM
jill

Sonia<BR>We too took David's trip in July 2000. It was the highlight of our trip. Like Mina said, if you have questions, e-mail David and Diane -they'll be happy to answer any questions. As for lunch, it was the best of our two week trip. Two of us don't eat fish, so chicken was fixed instead. The ambiance and coziness of it all can't be beat!

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:14 PM
Sonia

Wow, thank you all for your replies. Once again you have given me lots to consider.<BR><BR>Thank you very much!