Search

Darwin - Local Knowledge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darwin - Local Knowledge

We are arriving in Darwin Airport at 12.30 am (a Thurs morn) and need to fill in time until 7.00 am when we need to be back at the Darwin Airport to catch another flight out to the Tiwi Islands. Does anyone have any suggestions for filling in 5 – 6 hours at that time of the morning? (Smart thing would be to sleep but we’re reluctant to waste money on a hotel room for only 5 hours – just feel the money can be better spent elsewhere on our holiday). Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Do the 'smart' thing: There will be nothing else to do.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:14 AM

I think I might be tired too! But if you are up for it, I can recommend the Museum and Art Gallery of the NT. There's some good exhibits of Aboriginal art and life, plus a room where you can go and listen in the dark to an amateur recording taken while Cyclone Tracy was hammering the city.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM

I would think it was highly unlikely the Museum or anywhere else would be open between 12.30 am and 7 am!!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM

If you do decide to spring for a room, there is a brand new resort right at the Darwin airport, aptly called the Darwin Airport Resort. www.darwinairportresort.com.au
I came across it in my search to find charming accomodations in Darwin it seems much more appealing (with tropical bungalows, cool pool, etc.) than most of the in-town lodgings. Maybe ask for a deal. And please post a report on the Tiwi Islands. We're only going to be in Darwin for a few days and are not certain whether to go.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. Abeden - we've decided to do the smart thing and many thanks to Crosscheck's suggestion - we have booked a room at the Darwin Airport Resort (which I never knew existed) - this was exactly the type of info we needed. They provide a shuttle service from the airport to hotel/return and we secured a room for $150 which is much more appealing than sitting at the airport for 6 hours in the wee hours of the morning. So thanks for everyone's help. I'll be posting our trip report on the Tiwi Is. late August - so keep a look out. Thanks again!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Wise decision...Glad I could be of help. No need for your vacation to become "The Amazing Race." Sounds like we're going to be in Darwin before you. We leave on August 6th for Fiji, then on to Oz...first stop Darwin. We're still undecided about the Tiwis because we have limited time and think our kids will prefer tooling around in the outback, but will let you know if we go.