Darwin

Aug 27th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Jane

Darwin

We are thinking about a trip to Singapore--Bali--Darwin in January. I would like any information on Darwin, please--hotels, restaurants, transportation to Kakadu, etc.

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Debbie

Hello Jane,
I spent a month in Australia and the only part of the trip I was not 100% pleased w/was the Darwin leg. I am not trying to talk you out of going there--DO visit the Top End; it's worth going to!

First thing I would've done differently was not to stay at the Frontier Hotel. It was marginally ok, and not especially convenient--but I had prepaid, so I dealt with it. Try looking for places more central, like those around Esplanade. (Bill Bryson slammed the Frontier in his book, "In a Sunburned Country" but I didn't read it 'til after I got back home. Oops )

Definately go to Kakadu. Try to stay overnight for a night or two and go w/a company that can go off the paved road. I did a day tour and it was way too rushed. Kakadu is about 2-3hrs from Darwin so a lot of the time is spent getting to/from there. The park itself is HUGE and beautiful. I heard it's good to spend time in the Arhemland and that Jim Jim Falls is special.

Have fun,
Debbie

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Debbie

Hi again,
I just realized that you will be going to Darwin during the Wet. From what I understand, much of Kakadu is inaccessible at that time of year. I was there in July, so it wasn't an issue.

Debbie

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:43 PM
liz

You can access kakadu in the Wet and I for one prefer the wet on the NT than the dry season because its so much nicer with all the waterfalls flowing etc etc. Also Kakadu's Yellow Waters is nicer in the wet with those giant water lillies all out and water everwhere.
The only places that you may not be able to get to would be along dirt roads to out of the way areas. I would try and get a small, 4 wheel drive or special built vehicle tour with only about 8 people max as these operators are the best in the business and the most knowledgable.
Contact the Northern Territory Tourist Authority or do a search for their web site and they should have some really great ideas. Then when you have found some run it past the forum again like you have this time.

Aug 28th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Jane

Thanks, Debbie and Liz. I'll probably have more questions as the planning progresses.
Jane