Darwin expectations?

Apr 25th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Darwin expectations?

Looking to spend a few days in the Darwin area as part of our Australia trip. Planning on being there May 22 through 25 (three nights) 2004. Want to see Kakadu, Katherine Gorge, and Litchfield. Would do part of a tour, but not sure if we should base out of Darwin or stay closer to each area. Understand the driving distances between each place... are we looking to do too much? Any recommendations on itinerary + places to stay (moderate hotels, no camping)? Two travelers (adults) not planning on renting a car (but that could change.) Thanks!
Apr 26th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Hi - I think maybe you are trying to do too much - and, if it was me, I'd skip Katherine. Maybe take a two day, 1 night tour to Kakadu from Darwin. It's not that a guide is essential - but it is one of those places where you will miss a lot flora/fauna-wise without local knowledge - to say nothing of the second reason it is World Heritage listed - ie the aboriginal culture. Also there ísn't much of a choice of places to stay. Tour groups at all budget levels usually stay at Cooinda, and that's prob where you'd stay too if you visited under your own steam, if only cos it's where the Yellow Waters billabong cruise goes from (definitely worth doing).

www.gagudjulodgecooinda.com.au

I did a 2 day trip to Litchfield on my second visit to Darwin (didn't get there first time around) and had a wonderful time. But one day probably is enough and quite doable in a hire car if that's what you prefer. I don't know if there is any accom close to Litchfield - could be a roadhouse or motel on the highway perhaps.
Apr 26th, 2004, 05:10 PM

You won't have enough time to do all three, so the best suggestion is to cut out Katherine and concentrate on Kakadu and Litchfield. Hiring a car would give you flexibility, the roads are all good and signposted.
If you are looking for accommodation in Litchfield, the small town of Batchelor is between the main highway and the park. There is a hotel/motel and a caravan park with cabins there.
Apr 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM

I agree with the other posters that you do not have time for all three places. However, I'd say that, with just two full days, you would have time only for Kakadu (east of Darwin), or together Litchfield and Katherine (south of Darwin). Keep in mind that Kakadu is a huge park (it is Australia's largest) and there is a lot to see, especially in the Dry Season when most areas are accessible. Whatever you do, don't rush to Litchfield from Kakadu without seeing Jim Jim and Twin Falls. The falls in Litchfield are beautiful but they do not hold a candle to those in Kakadu.
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback - very helpful. Taking in all the suggestions and reading other postings, we have decided to fly into Darwin, find a transfer(???) out to the croc hotel in Jabiru and just tour Kakadu for our time there. You have all made us realized we were trying to do too much in too short a time. Thanks again!