Search

Crocodylus Village

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crocodylus Village

Has anyone ever stayed at Crocodylus (up near Daintree) and done any of the sea kayaking tours or night time tours from there? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 01:26 AM

Crocodylus Village is a YHA hostel about 60kms from Port Douglas.
Go to www.yha.com.au or
www.crocodyluscapetrib.com for more information.
An ensuite cabin for two adults is about $A75. There is also multi-share accommodation for $A21pn and children under 5 are free.
One years membership for the YHA in Australia costs $A52. and helps make travel more affordable.
I took my children to Canberra a few years ago(to get some culcha) and offered them 5 star accommodation which they refused. They wanted to stay at the YHA for that great sense of global community that is to be experienced there.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:52 AM

Yes - ages and ages ago. In fact it was my second stop in Australia - the first was a scruffy hostel in Cairns. But, you know, everything is relative, and that scruffy hostel was a fun place after a month in China!!

But, to get back to Crocodylus - I loved it then and I think I still would. I stayed in one of the dorms which are huge cdor
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:11 AM

sorry - yes, the dorms are huge and are in huts on stilts and accommodate at least 24 people. I'm sure there are more expensive double rooms too.

The downside of the place is that it is 3-4 km from the beach, unlike Cape Trib Beach House where you can meander down to the beach in 5 mins. The upside is the fabulous ambience. The complex is built in the rainforest - huge trees, etc - no attempt at artifical landscaping. There is a large communal area where people congregate; the staff were very helpful (but the ones I met are unlikely to be there still); there's a kaff and the food is/was fairly priced and is/was pretty good.

Lots of activities on offer - I didn't go for the kayaking but I did travel out to the reef; take a joy ride in a tiny plane that took off from a grass airstrip (don't think this happens any more - it was only $35 in 1997!!); and I went on the night-time walking safari.

The latter was just brilliant. Of course it depends a lot on the guide - all I can say of mine is that he knew his stuff and it was all SO NEW to me.

No tigers or lions - we saw giant spider webs, and a snake, and all sorts of never-seen-before flora.

I still remember it - so it must have been good.

In other words - based on my ancient experience - recommended.
Old Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM

As fuzzylogic says, Crocodylus isn't on the beach, however there's a free bus service from there down to beach at Cow Bay (the dugong cow, not the moo-ing type). Cyclone Rona hit it in 1999, so its been mostly rebuilt since fuzzylogic was there. Haven't done the kayaking trip but have been to Snapper Island in our own boat, top spot, uninhabited with rainforest, beaches and fringing reef.