1 week near GBR Solo

Mar 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

1 week near GBR Solo

Hi all

I am going to be visiting Oz for the first time the last week of April and first 2 weeks of May. For the first week I will be with a friend from Sydney catching the sights in and around Sydney and for the last week i will be visiting other friends in and around Melbourne. Its the week in between that i need advice on. I needed to buy all my airpass tix at once so I have booked a flight into Cairns on Weds May 3rd and am flying out of Cairns to Melbourne on Weds the 10th. That week I will be on my own to explore Queensland. I am a 32 y/o single woman from NYC. I am very friendly and have no problem meeting people but I would prefer to be in places that I wouldn't be the only single person not in a couple or with all families with kids. I am a bit of a cityslicker but could use a bit of nature too. So i guess I was thinking about daytrips to GBR and Rainforest etc. Maybe a day or two just lying on a beach (that is not normally my thing but i thought i'd give it a try). I am quite willing to mostly "play it by ear" but would at least like to have accomodatiion booked somewhere. I was thinking I would most likely stay in hostels for the opportunity to be around other people and to keep expenses low (though i would prefer if possible a hostel where i could at least have a single bedroom even if i had to share a bathroom). I would be willing to splash out a few nights on something a bit more posh but i don't want to be in a resort with a bunch of honeymooners. So if I go for the hostel idea does anyone have any reccommendtions given the above? Should i book in Cairns or maybe Port Douglas? split time between the two? It seems most daytrips leave from either.

I know this is a bit vague but I'm really open to anything. Thanks in advance.

Mar 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM

brigitta - I think this question could be best answered by Pat, who is our resident Nth Queensland expert. Whatever she tells you, take notice, as really knows the Cairns region and what it has to offer.
Mar 17th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks i look forward to hearing from her!
Mar 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM

troppo is too kind, brigitta, as I live in area I rarely get to stay in local accommodations, but I do at least know where they are and what they look like.

Cairns city has a wide choice of hostels, there are 2 YHA's, the nicer one is about a 5 min walk from town, the other is located on the busy and crowded Esplanade. Gilligan's is the largest and most modern, private rooms are available and is well situated in the centre of town and near where most of the nightlife happens. Dreamtime is a smaller hostel,very popular, once again a good 5 min walk to town. There is no beach in Cairns city, but there is a huge manmade, stinger-proof lagoon for safe swimming.

Think its a good idea to split your stay, there are no hostels on Cairns northern beaches, but there is Port O Call at Port Douglas. There's a couple in Daintree, PJ's, is near Cape Tribulation (considered a bit of a party place) and the other is Crocodylus in rainforest south of Cape Tribulation. The nearest beach is Cow Bay (dugong cow, not moo cow), Crocodylus has a bus to run you down to this lovely beach. From there you can kayak over to Snapper Island - Crocodylus will arrange trips.

Another hostel I really like is at Yungaburra on Atherton Tableland - On the Wallaby. Very well run and owners will arrange excursions around this very scenic area.

Hope this helps and have a great trip.
Mar 18th, 2006, 03:40 AM

I liked Geckos hostel in Cairns - same sort of profile as Dreamtime and in the same area I think. It's in a lovely old house and attracts an older crowd - by which I mean it doesn't attract the 18-25 year olds who go in more for the big new party places like Gilligans.

I have stayed at Crocodylus too and loved it - especially the night time walking safari - but that was a long time ago and I believe (from Pat - yes??) that it's since I was there it has been substantially remodelled following cyclone damage.

More recently (2004) I stayed at Cape Trib Beachhouse - recommended. Nice beach; some short walks to do; can trip out to the reef. accom in dorms or there are chalets too. And the cafe/restaurant is a friendly place where people share tables and start to chat.

Be aware that both Crocodylus and Cape Trib BH are out on their own. There is nowhere else to go nighttime and nowhere else to eat.

I didn't find it a problem - I was there solo too.

Enjoy your trip!!!!!
Mar 20th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your thoughtful replies. I will look into all of your suggestions. I am getting so excited about my trip i am finging it hard to concentrate on my job!

Search this Thread