Daintree/Cape Trib or Atherton Tablelands

Oct 10th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Daintree/Cape Trib or Atherton Tablelands

Hi everyone,
You have all been great helping me decide which GBR trip to choose (I chose Wavelength), now I would appreciate some info on which rainforest trip to take. We have booked Pete with his 4x4 for the day and he has given us a couple of ideas. We could go to Daintree and Cape Tribulation all in one day OR we could go to the Tablelands, visiting Granite Gorge, Curtain and Cathedral Figs, lunch and a swim at Mila Mila Falls, plus fit in a ride on the skyrail. Pete said the Rainforest trip is most popular. I had written to him to ask about visiting the other spots too, especially the skyrail because there won't be any other time to go. My question is should we skip the skyrail and tablelands and go to the rainforest? My husband and two sons (14 & 19) will also be going. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
Oct 10th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Hello Jayneann,

It's a tough decision. It would be nice to do everything on your wish list. If you're forced to make a choice, I vote in favour of Daintree / Cape Trib.
Oct 10th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Hi Jaynean

Its a shame you have to make a choice - the areas are so different. But if rainforest is your main priority, I'd also go with Daintree, although there is some lovely tropical highland rainforest on Tableland as well.
Oct 11th, 2004, 01:53 AM

We'll be in Cairns in mid November. Would you please tell me how I can contact Pete or other recommended companies. Thanks, Jerry
Oct 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM

Heritage and Interpretive Tours is run by Pete Baxendell - website is www. nqit.com.au Another excellent trip is run by Jonathan Munro with emphasis on animals and birds (Jonathan is based in Cairns but takes wildlife trips all over Australia as well as locally)- www.wildwatch.com.au Both these trips are personalised and take very small groups, or just a couple, and they will take you to where and what you want to see - hence they are significantly more expensive than trips with fixed destinations - ie Trek North - www.treknorth.com.au (up to 12 passengers) or wildernessecosafaris.com (up to 8 passengers). Another great day trip which I never see mentioned is with Wilderness Challenge - light aircraft flight over GBR from Cairns to Cooktown with visit to fascinating Cooktown Museum then 4WD south on rugged Bloomfield Track and back to Cairns (or anywhere north of Cairns including Port Douglas or Palm Cove) via Cape Tribulation and Daintree. www.wilderness-challenge.com.au

Any trip involving light aircraft travel should be booked well in advance, be it Play Postie (cattle stations of Cape York), Daintree Air (Lizard Island or the Cape), or Cooktown - its also possible to fly by chartered aircraft from Cairns to Undara Lava Tubes where there is a small airstrip - aircraft are small and can only take limited numbers.
Oct 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM

Just to add to that - Jonathan has sent me some amazing local pictures he took last week of mating dance of Victoria's Rifle Bird - quite an achievement to get these shots. If anyone would like to see them, email me at [email protected] and I'll forward them.
Oct 12th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Thanks Pat for getting back to Jerry so quickly. The website for Pete's Heritage Tours is : nqhit.com.au. He has been so helpful emailing me back immediately and providing detailed info about the various tours. He, like Pat and Judy thought the Daintree/Cape Trib would be the best choice for us. Thanks for all the help on this website. Good luck Jerry!
Jayne