Search

crocodiles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:05 AM
kelvin brennan

crocodiles

has anyone seen a crocodile on the Daintree river? we have been on 3 boats trips at various times of the day and have yet to see any?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:23 AM
ALF

I've taken boat trips twice on the Daintree River, and seen several salties each time, lying on the banks near the water's edge. Both times were near the start of The Dry - perhaps that is a good of year time to spot 'em. When were you there?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:35 AM
kelvin brennan

we were there in September this time and November a few years ago. But I was starting to think that maybe they had all been removed.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:31 AM
jake

We saw 3 crocs along the river when we went with BTS tours. They were small and not moving at all. Not very exciting!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Irwin

Try jumping in the water with a bit of chicken and see what you can get there. I am sure within minutes both you and your chicken will have had some excitement.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Daphne

A lot depends on the temperature of the water and the height of the tide. Crocodiles mainly leave the water to warm their bodies in the sun so if the water is warm they are less inclined to come out. The Daintree River is tidal up to Daintree Village and at high tide the sand banks are covered so half tide or lower is the best time to go on a cruise. And there are definitely plenty of crocodiles in the River!