Na Pali Boat Tour in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We hope to be on Kauai November 7 - 14, 2008. I read that the "big waves" arrive November 1 and a Na Pali coast boat tour then could be very uncomfortable. Comments, please? If it will be OK, would appreciate boat recomendations. Jerry
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM

I know Liko's has a little longer season than many because he runs a power cat.

http://www.liko-kauai.com/Summer%2006.htm

May need to be flexible with your days.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM

By November, our big waves are already here -- having started their arrival in late September.

Na Pali boat tours that time of year are dependent on surf conditions. While we do occasionally get days when the seas are flat, we always expect large swells over open water.

Check with the boat companies when you get here -- they're always watching weather & surf conditions.
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear glk:

We went with Liko about 5 years ago at Thanksgiving. They were great, however, the waves were huge. Swells from Alaska had been coming in. In fact, some low lying, northern & western exposures on the islands were closed due to flooding. We took Bonine for motion sickness, but I didn't give it to my 82 year old mother - age and other meds (?) We were fine, but my mom got sick. The Liko people were great with her. They did take us near some spinner dolphins. The wave thing is just a crap shoot. See how things are when you are there, then decide.

MY

Old Jul 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM

We did a Na Pali trip once during Dec. I am prone to sea sickness so I took meds before, but it didn't help at all. The swells were super high and I was very sick the entire time. I looked up from the bucket only a few times to see the beautiful scenery. The only thing that made me happy was seeing dolphins cruising alongside the boat on the return trip. That was the best! So even though I was so sick, the light at the end of the tunnel was the dolphins. What an awesome thing to see! I don't want to discourage you, but if you have people prone to seasickness traveling with you,check with the boat companies like Auntie suggested.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:22 AM

Can you please comment on advantages/disadvantages of beginning this trip from the South rather than the North shore of Kauai. I noticed that some cruises departing from Princeville area discontinue afternoon cruises in October. Is this because of rough seas or fewer tourists? Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't tell you exactly why they cut out afternoon tours. It could be the more windy conditions in the afternoon.

As far as north or south, I think it just depends where they are based out of.

If we did it again, I would try to take an afternoon trip. The sun would be much better for photos on the Na Pali coast. In the AM, the sun is still not shining on the cliffs enough and too many shadows.

Don't worry too much about your choice, just try to enjoy the ride!!

MY
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM

Summer is the best time to visit the Na Pali coast as the sea conditions are usually much milder. The winter time brings in the northern swells and often makes the waters along the Na Pali coastline very treacherous and impossible to negotiate, however some winter days can be excellent as well. The tours that leave from the west side in winter are less likely to be as rough and is the reason why many that leave from the north only do so in summer.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM

I don't know about Nov. conditions, but we loved Captain Andy's if you need a good outfit to sail with.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM

We did the Napali raft trip "adventure" leaving from Port Allen on the weekend and even though seas appeared calm it was a rough ride and recommend a catamaran over a raft trip for a smoother ride though you will not be able to explore the coast as thoroughly as in the power-raft trip.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM

We travelled last year, the first week of November, and had a incredibly beautiful day on Captain Andy's. Were able to view the dolphins up close and personal. Also explored the caves and had a beach landing. Quite uncommon for November they said. Going home rode the waves, much to the delight of our teen daughters. It was an amazing adventure. You have no control over the weather, I say just go for it !!
Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 01:22 AM
koa

If the waves are too big, there are options for a south side boat tour. Its not as spectacular as the NaPali coast, but the snorkeling is good. If its not too rough, they go to Kipu Kai beach which is as nice as some of the sights you would see on the NaPali. A little early for whales, but a heard a few have been sighted.