Critters / Pests in Fiji?

Feb 4th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Critters / Pests in Fiji?

I know that Fiji is a tropical Island and it will have its fair share of different pests. I also know many travel agents and resorts do not like to discuss them. But, after seeing the good honest and very informative responces from contributors of this forum to a similar thread for Australia and NZ, hopefully I can get the same good info from you all.

I am planning a honeymoon to Fiji in September 2004. That is going to happen despite the existance of certain pest and critters. I am just trying to find information on what to expect while I am there!

I have seen many talk about spiders in Fiji. What type of spiders are we talking about? Large spiders the size or a hand? Hairy Tarantula? Poisonous, even if mildly? Does anyone have actual names of the types of spiders so I could get a small bit of info and be prepared for them?

What else is there? Snakes? Scorpions? Rats? Should we always check shoes before putting them on and keep clothing off the floor?

What is the likelihood of seeing any of these critters in our bures? Keep in mind we are going to be there in January. We are not too concerned about seeing them on the actual islands while hicking, just in the bure. We are looking at staying either at Namalae or Qamea for part of the trip, and either Navini or Curosoes for the other part.

Thanks for any info. Let me know if you have any ideas of website with more info on the critters and wildlife, even the good, in Fiji.

Feb 4th, 2004, 11:21 PM

Rook - if your bure isn't completely insect screened there's a good chance of the odd bug, especially in January, the hottest month of the year. I've never noticed spiders of any size in resort rooms in Fiji and where I've stayed the grounds are "fogged" every morning for mosquitoes. Still, nothing much will deter the large bush cockroaches which fly in - on my last trip they were dancing merrily in the foyer of a 5 star hotel.
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I have no problem with mosquitoes or other bugs, even cockroaches. Although I would rather not have a cockroach crawl on me during the night, it would not be a big deal. They are just gross but I would be fine with them.

I would be fine with most any thing actually, I am just tryint to determine what to expect. Short of a extra large spider frequently making home of our bure, all else will be fine. It is just that I cannot find any info on what to expect.

Thanks
Feb 5th, 2004, 10:12 PM
DJE

Rook,

Having been to the Yasawa Islands a few years back the only insects that seemed to be a problem for me were the sand fleas. I got bitten pretty good however when I return to fiji again I will be more vigilante about using some sort of lotion for the skin to deter these little pests.

I was told that something like citronella will not only deter mosquitos but also the fleas as they don't like anything acidic. In the event you don't have something like that to use you can always rub the juice of a lemon or lime on exposed skin.

Didn't see any spiders to speak of and only the odd cockroach. I am sure you will have a fabulous time in this lovely tropical destination.
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:59 PM

I spent 3 weeks in a remote Fijian resort and never saw anything bigger than a mosquito.
The place was never sprayed either.
I think that the chickens took care of any spiders although I never saw a chicken in my bure
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:17 PM

Hi Rook - I agree, it is hard to find anything on the perils which may await in Fiji. I did see a large rat running across a beam which was directly above a kava bowl at a kava-sipping ceremony in a village - no-one took any notice. It may be as well to use a personal insect repellent - dengue fever is a mosquito-borne tropical disease and I suspect is not unknown in Fiji.
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Qamea has (or had several years ago) a very large population of very large frogs. I hesitate to call them toads - but they were not very attractive! Navini has no bugs/reptiles etc except for the occassional tiny little gecko (lizard). Toberua has a resident population of snakes - very dozy and harmless unless you stick your finger in their mouth (as their mouths don't open wide enough for them to bite you - so they told me) but quite disconcerting when you find one in your bure! I've never seem spiders anywhere in Fiji.
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I am glad to hear that it is not real common to see spiders, although I have heard some people who have run into them. Snakes, frogs, toads, etc, would not bother me in the least. While I would rather not deal with mosquitoes, fleas, lice, roaches they would not really be a big deal as you can use lotion to prevent them for the most part.

It was really just the large spiders, but if it is not common, and I know they are not poisonous, then I feel better.

I am still not sure what types of spiders there are though. No one seems to describe the spiders they run into, besides saying they are big.

Oh yeah, I heard that there a quite a few water snakes in Fiji. Anyone know if that is true, and if the water snakes are poisonous, and if so how to avoid being bitten by one if swimming, snorkling?

Thanks
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:19 PM

Hi Rook - the imported Indian mongoose has decimated a lot of Fiji's native wildlife, which is sad. I have seen sea snakes in both Fiji and nearby Vanuatu - and assume they are venomous. I live in tropical North Queensland which is on about the same latitude as these islands where sea snakes definitely are venomous - but they are timid and don't attack humans. I think you're worrying too much about spiders -just leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:49 PM

"I have seen many talk about spiders in Fiji." Where?? I think someone has handed you a big load of crap. Trantulas?? I lived there for a few years and never saw a spider I can recall.

Snakes? I'm actually quite suprised someone mentioned one of the islands does still have some. As pat_woolford correctly stated, the mongoose has virtually wiped all snakes of all kinds. The dadakalavi (sea snake) is the exception since it is not land based for the mongood to get at it, and yes it is poisonous although not inordinately so.

Scorpions? You're thinking of somewhere else. Rats? Well maybe at the Fiji Bitter brewery, but not really any where else.

Roaches are a definite issue. And small bugs of no real consequnce. Simple screening takes care of that.

All I can say Rook is "relax". Sounds like someone has been pulling your leg.
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:12 AM

I read about the poisonos water snakes and that made me nervous to go swimming in the water. Any water based creatures to be concerned about??
Apr 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM

"Any water based creatures to be concerned about??"
No-the only really nasty ones are in Australia not Fiji.

Apr 30th, 2004, 06:59 AM

The sea snakes are out in the ocean - don't worry about it.