Search

Lizards in Tahiti ??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lizards in Tahiti ??

Need an answer before I book my vacation - I am terrified of lizards and I was told that Tahiti is "over populated" with them - anyone been there ?
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:08 PM

You must not like Florida either... I'm not sure if Tahiti is "overrun" with lizards, but I'm guessing that they have a good number of them, being a tropical climate and all. Sorry!

Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Was in Tahiti in the late 80's and don't remember lizards -- maybe a more recent phenomenon.

The peeping-tom hotel staff member was the only thing sticking to my window!

Spent a week in Tahiti ---I'd really recommend you use it at your stepping off point to Moorea, Bora Bora or other nearby island. Even in 1988 it was noisy, developed and much less idyllic than I had expected. That was a long time ago, but you're going a long distance so be sure it's what you want before you book.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:57 PM
DJE

JerseySue,

I have been to French Polynesia twice, most recently 2 years ago and have never seen an over abundance of lizards. You will see the odd gecko (sp) which is a little green lizard, in and around resorts etc. but they are completely harmless and should be considered your friend as they do eat a lot pesky insects that would be much more of a problem. These little lizards are found throughout the South Pacific including Hawaii and are nothing to be concerned about.

As Kuzmagirl suggests, don't spend much time of Tahiti as the true beauty of FP is definitely the outer islands. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 01:50 AM

Hi JerseySue
I too am terrified of lizards - little did I know that Tahiti sure did have some! Actually, they probably were gecko's (sp?) but to me I could see little difference! We stayed at Bora Bora - and yes they were everywhere - as in, in our room. I freaked to say the least, cause it wasn't something i was expecting - all I could hear was "rustling" in the bins and then once i indentified what they were - i looked around and low and behold they're were on the walls, ceiling etc.

Needless to say my first nights' sleep was well, not very good - im not going to tell you what we did to get rid of them, but it generally worked! he he (btw, before anyone gets excited, no harm was done to these creatures! i appreciate they're importance in the world! - but just not in my room thanks!

So i would bet you will encounter them in your travels in Tahiti....

cheers
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 05:15 AM
ALF

These 'lizards' tend to be 2-3 inches long, and cling to the walls or ceiling. They are quite unobtrusive and try to stay away from humans. If that is a big problem, then perhaps Atlantic City would be a better vacation choice.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Chris - please tell me how you got rid of the geckos - Thanks JerseySue
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Chris - how did you get rid of the geckos - please tell me - Thanks JerseySue
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 11:03 PM

Hi JerseySue
Sorry couldn't reply sooner but I was at work.

Ok, you have to bear in mind, I didn't have any idea of the "lizard" situation in Bora Bora - so it was really by accident that i came across the solution! Firstly, these "lizards" are not stupid by a long mile! They obviously have been doing this for years (ie. in the rooms etc)..anyway, first thing we did was move the bin (any bins in the room) outside - but then all i did was put any rubbish inside an airtight bag in the bin.

It was amazing, even the slightest bit of sugar left in a used sachet was quickly found in that bin.

So, there were were the first night - watching all these lizards all over the walls etc - and i'm on my bed in sheer terror - so i grabbed my hair spray container (you know just one of those cheap hair spray thingies to wet your hair?) and i put it on "long" spray kind of thing, and i squirted them when they appeared!

I know your thinking - what the??? but it worked! i swear, these creatures are sure not silly and learnt that if they came in the room they'd get wet! I laugh about it now, can you imagine, me perched on my bed, armed with the water spray....

off memory, whenever i was in the room i had the spray handy -but i swear by the 2nd night - no lizards. (i wasn't staying up all night spraying them either - they just learnt very quickly!)

Dunno if it was just coincidence, but our room was lizard free for the rest of our stay (i didn't have to spray for the rest of our stay)

Cheers
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM

Ladies, thank you for alerting me to a phobia I never guessed existed - fear of lizards! To me lizards (along with frogs) are some of the most endearing creatures we share the planet with, and especially geckoes. For obvious reasons I exempt Komodo dragons - anything that can kill you is good reason for a phobia in my book. Personally, I'm terrified of saltwater crocodiles (and no, they're not lizards!)

During an extended stay in Australia's tropical North I shared a bedroom with an extended family of geckoes (and a bat that slept on the light fitting). It was a pleasure to watch the comical-looking little buggers prowling around in search of bugs, and I used to cheer them on. But then, I live with someone who was scared of rats until she did a psych course and ended up quite attached to her personal maze-running rat. Maybe that's the answer - there must be a lizard desensitisation program somewhere. Maybe in California? Get in touch with your inner skink?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:00 AM

Dearest Neil,

There is a phobia for anything and everything these days - but really, some spiders and cockroaches cannot kill you - but yet, people (including myself) are terrified of them too. (Gee imagine me trying to rough it - like camping!) he he

I like your idea but I don't think it would be very popular!

Cheers
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Chris 7 - Thanks so much - I will go armed with a water bottle !!