Search

Cook Island or Fiji?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cook Island or Fiji?

I'm planning a trip from May 27 - June 5 and would love some help! I'm thinking of either Cook Islands or Fiji. I am looking for a small resort/hotel that is private and on the beach. I plan on snorkeling, scuba diving and relaxing on the beach. Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay on either or these islands? Which island has the better beaches and diving? Also looking for all-inclusive if possible. Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:35 PM

Don't know what your price range is, but here's a couple of suggestions for Fiji: http://www.moodysnamenafiji.com and http://www.maravu.net
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

I'm planning on spending a maximum of $5,000 - $6,000 for airfare, hotel, food, etc.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:47 AM

If you choose the Cook Islands I would recommend a beach bungalow at the Palm Grove (http://www.palmgrove.net/). Very familiar with the beach as we stayed just 100 yard east of the resort. Great swimming and snorkeling. Lots of fish, even some octopus. Our favorite stretch of beach on Rarotonga. Nice little family run place.

Ken
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:29 AM

PS - On an eariler post of yours, I mentioned that you MIGHT find the Cooks a bit chilly - note that that statement applied to a visit in July (and even then it should still be pretty nice). Late May & early June should be very nice.

Ken
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

What is the temperature like in late May early June in Fiji and Cook Islands? I'm a little nervous about it not being warm enough. I'm looking for at least 80 degrees during the day and would like warm water temperatures.

Also, I think I have narrowed my choice to either the Pacific Resort or Are Tamanu in Aitutaki OR Moody's Namena in Fiji. Does anyone have any experience with any of these resorts.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:18 AM

Rarotonga:
Average high in May is 80 F/ 26.6 C
Average high in June is 78 F/ 25.6 C

Average low in May is 68 F/ 20.4 C
Average low in June is 66 F/ 19.3 C

Aitutaki:
Not sure of the specifics, but is generally a couple of degrees warmer than Rarotonga.

The Cooks have the same climate as Hawaii (ie summery all year long) Winter evenings can sometimes be a bit cool (as in Hawaii) simply because of the constant trade winds. A light sweater in the evenings as a result. Never really cold there, but as I said, the windchill can sometimes make July-Sept feel a little cool if you are swimming (again, as can be the case in Hawaii during the winter).

Overall, a pretty delightful place. No all-inclusives though.

Ken
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM

PS - Are you coming from the USA or other northern hemisphere location - or New Zealand/Australia (or other southern hemisphere location)?

Ken
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

I'm coming from New Jersey, USA.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:08 AM

OK. The reason I ask is because the temperature "perception" is of course going to be somewhat determined by the temperature of the place you are COMING FROM. The typical late July Rarotongan high of 76 degrees or so will feel very nice if you are coming from the dead of winter. If you are coming from a New Jersey summer, it may feel a bit cool. Late May temps of 80 or so should feel pretty pleasant to you (warm but not too hot) so I would seriously consider the Cooks. If you don't know it already, I've posted a whole lot of info on the Cooks on Epinions and lots of photos of the islands on Webshots. If you haven't seen them yet, you may want to take a look.

Any other specific questions, feel free to ask.

Ken
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM

If you're looking at the Cook Islands - we stayed a week at Sokala Villas on Rarotonga, then spent a week at the Pacific Resort on Aitutaki.

You can't compare the Are Tamanu to the Pacific Resort. Are Tamanu is more "self-catering" while the Pacific Resort is really more of a resort.

The pool will be nicer at the Pacific, and they have a restaurant and beach bar. On Aitutaki - you'll be glad to stay at the Pacific, since their dining is much better and dining in general is very limited on Aitutaki. The Pacific's included buffet breakfast is large (even by American standards) and we found ourselves full and not needing lunch until 2 or 3pm.

p.s. You won't find all-inclusive in the Cook Islands.

p.p.s. If you're using an agent - I'd consider either Costco or the agent I used: www.pacific-for-less.com. Pacific For Less is based in HI and is also included in the Lonely Planet book on the Cook Islands. Very reputable and just as good in pricing as Costco.

Have fun! I can't believe we were there last December! I miss it much!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM

If you're not really locked into an "all inclusive" resort, I recommend renting a house on the Cooks - We have done so twice from Pai Chambers. They have houses in all price ranges, very nice, clean and good locations. Muri Lagoon and that side of Rarotonga is where you want to be for snorkelling. If you want more tourist amenities, I'd go to Fiji - the Cooks are definitely less developed (which is why we like them more).
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Fiji can be quite cool up in the Yasawa islands (the best area to holiday imho). We were there in May last year -average temps around 70 degrees F. Nights cooler around 65 degrees. Water glorious-warmer than air temps. Lots of rain! Aitutaki was recommended to us by a couple we met in Fiji who had been there prior to their Yasawa islands trip and raved about it. Aitutaki is on our list for 2005.